Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

80 series 1HDT 12V Auto - burning a lot of oil 😳

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkieB

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:32    Post subject: 80 series 1HDT 12V Auto - burning a lot of oil 😳 Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to the forum and chuffed to now be an 80 series owner (despite all the gossip on whether we'll be able to keep them on the roads now!)

Anyway, seems my vehicle is burning oil at quite an alarming rate, think the guy I bought it from wasn't telling me the whole story and has passed it on!! It's done 158k and recently after buying it, I've just covered a 1000 miles but have had to top up the engine oil with a staggering 2 litres. 😳 It pulls rather well and runs and sounds very smooth.  I have noticed it smoke a bit when warm (grey/blue) when I give it a bit of throttle but otherwise when just cruising at around 2000rpm it's certainly not obvious that it's smoking when I look in the rear mirrors (even with head lights behind me in the dark)

After just topping it up with some Comma XT2000 15w40 oil, I notice it's ticking over cleanly and only a little black puff when I blip the throttle. At a steady 2500/3000 rpm it's also burning quite cleanly.

After reading many threads on here I was thinking of having a compression test done followed by a leak down test. There are no real signs of leaking from the head gasket and no pressure when removing the oil filler cap or from the dipstick tube. Could it be the turbo? Is it most likely piston rings?

Any thoughts would be most welcome. I'm in the Aberdeenshire area so if anyone knows of a sympathetic mechanic I'd be be very grateful. I'm obviously not a mechanic myself but can get my head around most things with some help.

Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: