4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

my amazon 4.2 stops running / cuts out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deepseacol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:15    Post subject: 4.2 Diesel Stops running. Turns over but won't start. Reply with quote

Hi all,
This problem of the engine cutting out, not starting, has happened to me too.it has stopped on the motorway where luckily it started straight back up, but then became more frequent.
I found the problem.
It's the wiring on the top of the fuel pump.
The technical method that I used was "the wiggle test".
Toyota dealers couldn't find the problem, usual talk, new fuel pump......
Thank you to all the members of this forum for your help and guidance.

"Trundle on in your Toyota"
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deepseacol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 14:20    Post subject: Amazon not starting, dying, fuel pump wiring. Reply with quote

The repair/modified part number is.
Toyota Part.
Wire Kit, Injection.
04001-26160

Hope this helps.

Col.
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, great post and threads grateful for all those positive comments and ideas , though I run a 80 series, in essence the issue seems similar. My version is Three AA guys couldn't solve my cruisers engine shutdown, 5 hrs later they relayed us home, next day I found the 7.5v IGN fuse blown, thinking it was a freak blow .. replaced it and it fired up ... 4 years later The same thing happened today, 2 minutes after cold (-2deg) start just cut out dead .. 200 miles from home about to hitch up Bessie my twin axle caravan. The fuse blows when turning the key to ignition .. Several new fuses later the dashboard lights, (the row of warning lights) remain, the fuse hasn't blown, engine fires up!
So 200 miles later, engine goes dead 200 meters from home .. Several more fuses later ( I have lots) engine starts but cuts out after driving 2 feet. Eventually another fuse and made it home a relief due to the gradients. Since parking in driveway this evening, it starts strong on the button

Observations:
No identifiable sequence of actions leads to the 7.5v fuse blowing
Fuse blows when engine stone cold or very hot after 200 miles hard driving
10a fuse also blows which may indicate the solenoid may not be breaking down internally
Batteries seem OK as does starter but for years there is a power drain can be gradual or dramatic (1week)
When fuse doesn't blow, key turn to ignition, sometimes the starter solenoid clicks rapidly and a jump from starter pack will spin the engine over

I will try the wiggle test on the stop solenoid as suggested ,, then plumb in a discrete switch to take the solenoid out of the equation. So I guess it's either trace a short under bonnet or under the dash .. However as. 1994 model, and been really cheap to maintain last 10 years so not against throwing cash if necessary on a new solenoid, starter or set of Bosch batteries .. And reading many forums on this only Rob has succeeding in resolving ... Hope it ain't the pump ...
Fubar
jamie850

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crank sensor. It's a coil that breaks down with heat /age and then is fine later.  
Had one go on another car and this is the symptoms I had. When ecu can't sense the crank spinning it shuts off the fuel. Prob ably a lot cheaper than a new fuel pump.
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I don't think these engines have a crank sensor despite the complex wiring and the Japanese factor (by that I mean Fords, VW etc are familiar) the vehicles are basic
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

few weeks ago found the loom protection conduit chafing on a hard pipe, the wiring to the fuel solenoid was resting on the pipe, though cleaned couldn't see exposed copper but even so wrapped insulating tape and more conduit and supported the loom away from the pipe .. Run approximately 350 miles without a problem fingers crossed
Tgdevaney

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing sensor on top of pump. Mine had same issue took me a while to sort it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: