Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil Leak at Starter Motor - Rear Main Seal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smithy1966

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:25    Post subject: Oil Leak at Starter Motor - Rear Main Seal? Reply with quote

Hi,

I own a 1997 Landcruiser KZJ90, 1KZTE.

I have been trying to find the source of an oil leak(s) for some time and think I have narrowed it down to near the starter motor.

As some background, I have changed the oil cooler seal, the rear main seal, oil pressure switch, head gasket and the oil sump seal. However, I still have a small oil leak. After much cleaning and video using an inspection camera I think I have identified the source.

The oil leak finishes on the bottom of the bell housing and around the oil sump seal, having been sprayed everywhere by the flywheel.

I have attached an image of the started motor where I think the oil is originating. I am pretty sure that the oil is not coming from above the starter motor (oil cooler, oil pressure switch etc) and running down and around to this point.

Image of oil leak at starter motor: Oil Leak at Starter Motor

Why would oil be leaking at this point? Could the cause be the rear main seal?

I managed to get my inspection camera into the bellhousing and get this picture at the starter motor.

Image inside bellhousing at starter motor: Inside Bell Housing

As you can see it is a bit oily there. Is this to be expected? Where do you think the oil is coming from? If its the rear main seal then I will be taking a trip back to the garage that supposedly fixed it.

Thanks,

Luke
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MikeyB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not to be expected. Id run it past the shop that did the job, if it was the real main seal leaking on to the flywheel i could understand how that could force its way through the bellhousing/starter interface.
I dont know of anything above it that could cause that leak but ive never being above the bellhousing, perhaps a worn valve cover
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience with this engine, I suspect that the garage that fitted a new main oil seal did not use the Toyota part. They are silly money but proprietary seals just don't work as well. I suggest you find out where the seal came from.

Roger
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you don't think its coming from above - but check the 'half-moon' plug at the back of the head, under the cam box cover - they cover the hole used for line-boring the camshaft bearings and can leak if disturbed when the head or cam box cover are worked on.

Bob.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobMurphy wrote:
I know you don't think its coming from above - but check the 'half-moon' plug at the back of the head, under the cam box cover - they cover the hole used for line-boring the camshaft bearings and can leak if disturbed when the head or cam box cover are worked on.

Bob.

Good point.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: