All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Hi-Lift Jack, where to use.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosvark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 23:59    Post subject: Hi-Lift Jack, where to use..... Reply with quote

G’day

Who of you has a Hi-Lift jack?
Where do you store it?
And most importantly, lifting points.
I know after market bumpers have location holes/slots, but you are some what limited on stock bumpers.

I am thinking of making a bracket with a tube welded to it that bolts to the end of the chassis rails. The tube should sit just inside the bumper. Cut a hole in the bumper to have access to the tube and then use the adapter for the Hi-Lift that they use on Defenders.

The other option is to build sliders/steps with jacking points build into them, a little more work, but it will be duel purpose then, better sill protection, jacking point and better clearance. (the wife might complain, cause she then has to step-up even higher to climb into the truck)

Any thoughts/ideas will be welcome
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 23:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Graham Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts...

1) Weight Issue
I'm not a great fan of hi-lifts (or their poor copies) when dealing with really heavy vehicles such as loaded Land-Cruisers.

Here is the info from Hi-lifts own website: "4,660 lbs (2113.74 kg) rated capacity", and "Safety bolt is designed to shear at 7,000 lbs. (3175 kg)"
Now, I can tell you that when the shear bolt goes, it would be sudden and explosive and a 14kg piece of metal with 2 long arms flapping about dissipating a serious amount of stored energy does not really fill me with excitement  -especially if I am stuck in deep sand a long way from any reasonable help.

2) Suspension Issue
Most jacking points are located on the front or rear bumpers. If your cruiser has a lift and no axle straps you need to lift the body almost 3 feet to get the wheels off the ground. If the wheels are bogged in sand or mud... you need to go a lot higher (and the weight of the sand/mud is added to the total weight) and the whole lot becomes very unstable. I have seen one jack bowing spectacularly.

My recommendations, if you have to use a Hi-lift with a heavy cruiser.
Firstly, get a genuine more expensive Hi-lift not a "farm Jack"
Secondly, use a proper lifting strop through the wheel rim to lift from as this reduces the height you need to go to and lifts the axle directly.

Most hi-lifts just add 14kg of pointless weight to an already heavy vehicle, and never get used.

Now I'm not totally anti Hi-lift. They are a fantastic tool and I have taken plenty of 2wd pick-ups to wonderful places with the aid of a hi-lift. They are also very good at sorting out bent metal and a million other farm jobs.

In terms of use - a decent set of sand ladders/waffle boards will enhance a vehicles ability far more than a hi-lift ever will.
If its for show, they look damn good attached to the top of the bull-bar or on the spare wheel mount.  Wink

I look forward to everyones comments  Wink

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

"Dessie": Desert Wolf Lynx off-road trailer
Ken Wales

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you they are more for show, but when you are stuck off road you cannot get your bottle jack under the car. The answer is to lift from the wheel and put a waffle board under the wheel, If you get a puncture drive the car a couple of yards onto firmer ground and use the bottle jack.
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that a Hi-lift/Jackall is not a jack its a recovery tool.
Get to know and learn to use it right as they can be very dangerous.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
Bosvark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me a Hi-Lift is a tool/recovery aid as well as a jack.
I can rig it up as a pull lift using a snatch block and length of winch rope, I know it is slow but just as effective as a winch then, I can’t afford a winch right now, so this has to do for now as a recovery aid.

You can use it as a bead breaker to repair/ change a tyre and all the other uses there is for it.

I agree, get the best quality, I have a Hi-Lift and as long as you keep it clean and serviced when needed, then it’s trouble free.

And yes it does LOOK good on an off road truck.

Thanks Graham for pointing out the use of a lifting strop through the wheel, I haven’t thought of it.
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Jackals as they seem to last longer than the Hi-Lifts.

If you use it for winching then carry a racket strap. Take the slack up with the strap and then use the jack to winch. Saves time Wink

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 18:35    Post subject: Hi Lift Reply with quote

TBR sell all of that gear. Lift, ground plate, mounting bracket, lifting point and the wheel lift strap. Choice of buying or copying. I like the air lift bag, it can be used in many different situations. By the way - you can use the bottle jack as a bead breaker too. But if you put tyre goo in, you're unlikely to get a flat AND you can get a tyre repair kit that works without taking the tyre off the rim. Jacks of this sort are not well suited to the Japanese plastic coated 4x4.

I think I'll stick to a winch - but then what about ground anchors?

LC
landtoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 19:48    Post subject: hi lift saved the day Reply with quote

I was glad to use a freinds 4 foot hi lift jack to change a wheel, after a tree stump bent my front wheel breaking the bead.
Although, it was at its full height to remove the 37" tyre it did the job, since then i have bought a 5 foot hi lift . dont know where to store it yet though.
Bosvark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of fabricating a bracket that bolt onto the spare wheel carrier. There will be a short piece of say 50mm box section sticking through the centre hole of the spare wheel with a smaller box section piece that will go inside the 50mm box section and secure in place with a pin. On the end of the smaller piece of box section will be a clamp to secure the hi-Lift to. I have a Colorado so fairly easy, on the 80 series you can make 2 brackets that fit on to the lower tail gate on the out side and secure the Hi-Lift to that across the tail gate, or if you have a bull bar you can secure it to that on the top bar, only an idea.
Ken Wales

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of making something to go on the spare wheel carrier, If you do make something let us now, I wouldn't mind a look at it as I'm only over in Horwich.
Bosvark

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going away next week, so it will only be after the 13th may when I will get a chance look at sticking something together, will keep you posted.
Bosvark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken
Sorry for the long delay but I finally got round making an adaptor that fit on the spare wheel carrier.

]

It is very straight forward to make. Two short pieces of box section of differant size ,a piece of  flat bar with a tube on one end and 2 pins on the other end with another piece of flat bar that will fit over the 2 pins.
]

On the spare wheel carrier there is 2x M6 nuts weld on the back, so again a piece of flat bar with 2 holes line up the 2 nuts.Counter sunk the holes, fit M6x20mm bolts and then weld the 50mm box section to the flatbar, drill a hole on the other end and thats the female adaptor done.
For the male adaptor, use a 40mm box section piece, weld the above mentioned flat bar with tube and pins onto it and every thing is ready for painting.
]

I end up made a secound male adaptor because the rubber ties were not sturdy enough to my liking.
Graham Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Job Bossie...
Really neat....

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

"Dessie": Desert Wolf Lynx off-road trailer
Ken Wales

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats brilliant so easy to make Very Happy , I had a mental blockage and couldn't picture how to make one Rolling Eyes
Wion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's an old thread, but maybe it will be a timely resurrection for someone

My background is Off-road. I'd never use a Hi-Lift in a garage for anything. Don't get me wrong, they're a wonderful tool, and very handy when in the field. But, I remember "Bumper-jacks" from when I was a kid. They killed a whole lot of people. Hi-Lifts aren't designed to be placed on cement and be stable. It's out of their design pervue. I'd have to think twice about it, and the stability of it's base.

When I'm in my garage and need to lift the Jeep, pickup or van up high, I use my collapsible HF two ton engine lift with chains adapted to lift from two points on the frame. Then I lift one end of the vehicle at a time, place the jack-stands and relieve the weight off the lift.

A forklift would be nice. I keep seeing 'em on Craigs List... and have been tempted, but as yet, never pulled the trigger.

Recently, my brother bought Torin Big Red 48″ and he likes it. The Torin Big Red 48″ ratcheting off-road utility farm jack weighs in at only 30.1lbs and it can life 6,000lbs from 5.12” to 40”. So its an impressive piece of metal machinery.

This model conforms to ASME B30.1 standards, and it operates smoothly. It is used both vertically and horizontally and can be used for lifting, pulling, clamping, winching, and spreading.

The mechanism is really smooth, in fact, its one of the smoothest, we felt, so it competes with Hi-Lift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: