4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2002-D4D Colorado Dealer Servicing Schedule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_debian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 13:31    Post subject: 2002-D4D Colorado Dealer Servicing Schedule Reply with quote

Hi, all.

I've had my Colorado for 3 years, and I pride myself on proactive maintenance and annual dealer servicing. I have come to the end of my current service plan, and Toyota have offered me a new one, called 'Toyota Essential Care', which is for cars over 5 years old. The following is a list of what this covers, depending on whether it's a Silver of Gold service (I can't see a button for adding the 'Toyota Essential Care Service' attachment):

Silver / Gold
Free Visual Safety Report  
Free Hybrid Health Check  
Free Wash and Vac  
Drain engine oil  
Replace oil filter  
Replace sump washer  
Refill engine oil  
Inspect transmission oil* 
Replace air filter 
Inspect Spark Plugs† 
Change brake fluid 
Inspect air conditioning filter- replace as necessary*  
Inspect brake lining and drums 
Clean airflow meter†  
Inspect fuel and brake pipes 
Inspect hand brake 
Check clutch fluid as required* 
Recheck for fluid leaks - underside and engine bay  
Refill screenwash  
Recheck all levels  
Check battery 
Replace battery in locking remote 
Check warning lights  
Inspect tyres  
Check and adjust tyre pressures  
Check seat belts  
Check floor mats for security  
Check Exterior Lights  
Check Interior Lights  
Check all pedal(s) and components(s)  
Inspect steering  
Torque tighten wheel nuts  
Services available at additional cost
Replace spark plugs†  
Replace Fuel Filter†  
Replace Charcoal Filter1  
Replace transfer box oil†  
Replace front and rear differential oils†  
*Additional charges apply if work is required Last update 02/11
†Model dependant
1Aygo charcoal filter requires replacement every 60,000 miles.

My concern is that this doesn't cover things like getting the Timing Belt done, and I'm not sure what else it is missing. I don't mind paying for these separately, but this relies on Toyota remembering to tell me they need doing (or dash light reminders). Is anyone else in this position, if so, what do you do? I know on a vehicle of this age, that the Toyota stamps aren't important, but it's my way of doing the best I can for the vehicle.

Many thanks,

Chris.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 13:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

modvrs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the only actual work they do on the basic deal is change engine oil and oil/air filters which would cost me about £40 to do myself; evrything else is just looking at stuff which I can also do for nothing. How much are they asking for this sevice plan out of interest?

Missing items on first glance are suspension (bushes/joints/steering etc) checks, driveline checks and grease points, chassis/body rust checks and the inevitable welding on of a patch or two every year.

In my opinion main dealers are rarely interested in any car over about ten years old and represent very poor value for money on such vehicles. I do everything I can myself and have a local old-school mechanic for the things I can't, or can't be bothered, to do.
Juddian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see someone keeping up decent maintenance.

Cambelt will bring a light up on the dash when needed (mileage wise, not sure about the time period if sooner), and if the vehicle is Diesel its one of the easiest quickest and cheapest cambelt changes i've ever known, maybe the 244 Volvo would be on a par.

Other than that it looks pretty complete to me, and very good they still include proper brake servicing, (check they still remove pads to inspect and lube correctly) including fluid changes in the schedule, many main dealers, and too many garages generally do not service brakes correctly, hence why calipers need replacing when in fact they should last the life of the vehicle if maintained correctly.

The cost of transmission fluid changes was included in the cost of a major (every other year basically) on my Hilux, so careful checking how much extra for fluid changes is on the cards.
Similarly if it hasn't been done for several years maybe an auto gearbox (if yours is auto) oil change is on the cards.
As above, no mention of greasing up as required.

As modvrs, it might be more cost effective to put this into a good indy, if you have such a thing in your area, having said that the Toyota main dealer demolished the indy quotes i got for changing the cambelt on my V6 petrol Collie, which was a hell of a lot more complicated job than the Diesel which is a simple DIY.
chris_debian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, modvrs.

Thanks for your reply. They've quoted:

No Description Approximate mileage / date
S1 Gold Service 180000 miles / January 2020
S2 Silver Service 190000 miles / January 2021
S3 Gold Service 200000 miles / January 2022
Vehicle details
Vehicle make and model Toyota Land Cruiser

Campaign Toyota Essential Care (TEC)

Amount to pay: £756 (approx £25/ month)

I like the monthly payment options, but tend to get 'non-Service' work done at my local trusted garage. What I need to do, is find the proper service intervals for everything on my vehicle, then see what they haven't included. When I had Land Rovers, the service sheets were easily found; does anyone on the forum know where I can get the plan/ schedule that a garage/ mechanic would use?

Thanks,

Chris
chris_debian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juddian, I think you responded whilst I was typing my reply.

The vehicle is an auto. My concern is exactly this, the stuff that they don't list and I wouldn't think about. My vehicle mileage is 106K.

Cheers,

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: