All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

difficult to start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joejoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 14:04    Post subject: difficult to start Reply with quote

hi guys,

so i am having a little difficulty starting my truck when its been left overnight, but only sometimes, which is puzzeling me a bit!..

sometimes it starts on the first turn of the engine, more often it has to turn the engine several or a dozen times and then very ocationally im turning the engine for what seems like ages!,. ie. 20 secondes or so?

it doesnt seem to matter whether its a cold night or not,. and i always leave time for the glow plugs to warm up anyway.

i have been thinking that maybe theres a air getting into system and the diesel is slowly draining back along the line at night, but then why does it sometimes start on the first turn??

anyone else had this problem?

any other ideas or solutions greatly appriciated!!

cheers,
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 14:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

russell.huffer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what happened on my Astra van when the injector pipes went porus, leave it front down it started, front up pig to start.

Kind regards

Russell.
joejoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russell, ill try inspecting the injector lines! and also try leaving it front end down too, see if that makes a difference.

cheers and all the best,
joe
modvrs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read on the forum the problem is usually the metal pipes just where they come out of the fuel tank that rust through.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Likely to be the fuel pipes as they leave/enter the tank is the favourite rot spot.

The way it's been explained to me is that the whole network - pipe to fuel pump/injectors and the return line to the tank - is like a sealed system. Having a pinhole in it anywhere allows air in, which means the fuel drains back to the tank (like taking your finger of the end of a straw filled with liquid), hence the difficulty - you are effectively having to re-prime the system every time you start up.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the old trick of pump the hand primer on the fuel filter before trying.....

if it alleviates the problem, definitely air in fuel pipes...   I have done the fuel pickup on mine - was pretty corroded....
joejoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys! this is great!

It will be monday or tuesday now before i can get the chance to get stuck in and find the cause of this but this is a great start. ill keep you posted on the progress too.

cheers, joe
joejoe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed it!! javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
took off the diesel tank and there was a corroded leaky fuel line, replaced this and the problem seems to have gone!, been starting first time  every time since!!

thanks alot guys  thumbright
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: