All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Moving from Amazon 100 to V8 200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
landscraper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 20:15    Post subject: Moving from Amazon 100 to V8 200 Reply with quote

Hi, i'm looking to move on from the Amazon 100 series to the V8 model, ive owned 8 of the  80 / 100 series since 1994 so know them inside out, what they can do and how they behave. Had my first drive of a 2010 V8 saturday, full Toyoyta history and done 123,000 miles. Wondering what the pros and cons are moving on to the newer model. I do a lot of heavy towing regularly reaching the legal limit, some off road driving but mostly moving my 16ft trailer and equipment about. The V8 seemed a lot bigger, heavier on the steering and less of a utility vehicle. My current Amazon (55) with full history and only 95,000 miles does the job well should i move on? and what are the pros and cons to owning and using the V8 model. looking for some sound advice from those that know based on practical experience. Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 20:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Landscraper. I think I would stick with what you have. I purchased a 2014 200 series a couple of years ago and used it to tow our scouts trailer to Switzerland and back. Probably only weighs about 1.5 tonnes loaded and so the 200 coped easily. Hardly knew it was there, except for the trucks penchant for changing down to lower gears at the slightest sign of any throttle use. If you do a bit of research this "issue" with the gearbox programme is well documented. The other very noticeable trait is that the torque converter only locks up fully in 6th gear. If you were towing very heavy trailers you might want to stick to 4th which is the 1:1 ratio but for me this crazy gearbox function particularly the unlocked torque converter ruins the drive and uses excessive fuel. As I said if you do a bit of research you will find many fixes for this but the key European contender, ECON-Lock was discontinued 5 years ago. I spoke to the developers last week. I might look at the Rogers autos (ads company) option as an alternative.

Martin
landscraper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 20:14    Post subject: Amazon100 to V8 200 Reply with quote

Hi Martin, thanks for the reply and details therin, very useful and informative. As you say i do tow a lot of weight so the comments you pass make good sense. The Amazon i have does the job perfectly well but it nearly 14 years old, i'll have to change it some time but think its better to delay as long as possible. Not sure what to go for next as Toyota dont sell anything up to the job anymore that will tow 3500kg with complete confidence.
eatapeach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

mks wrote:
Hi Landscraper. I think I would stick with what you have. I purchased a 2014 200 series a couple of years ago and used it to tow our scouts trailer to Switzerland and back. Probably only weighs about 1.5 tonnes loaded and so the 200 coped easily. Hardly knew it was there, except for the trucks penchant for changing down to lower gears at the slightest sign of any throttle use. If you do a bit of research this "issue" with the gearbox programme is well documented. The other very noticeable trait is that the torque converter only locks up fully in 6th gear. If you were towing very heavy trailers you might want to stick to 4th which is the 1:1 ratio but for me this crazy gearbox function particularly the unlocked torque converter ruins the drive and uses excessive fuel. As I said if you do a bit of research you will find many fixes for this but the key European contender, ECON-Lock was discontinued 5 years ago. I spoke to the developers last week. I might look at the Rogers autos (ads company) option as an alternative.

Martin

I'm asking myself the same question.  I've had 6 x 80/100 series, and the last one for 6 years.  I've done about 4k or less per year (total or 22k in 6 years) but the list of jobs keeps growing.  The current car (2005) needs
    air con condensor
    rear diff
    steering wheel motors (both)
    new windscreen to cure leaks
    leak over passenger window
    steering pump on way out

I cant decide whether to fix those issues and keep the Amazon (139k miles) or get into a 200 series.  The maths of it will decide, but I'd like to hear the experience of people who have made that change

thanks
chugga90

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eatapeach,

On the windscreen leak.
Check out your sunroof drainage.
My last one was doing this when I got it.
I spoke with a windscreen fitter at a job I was working at and he had a poke around and suggested blowing air back up from bottom of the pipe.
Stopped the leak in both areas.
Saved a change of screen, which was what I thought was my issue at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: