4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

techstream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 17:36    Post subject: techstream Reply with quote

I'd like to say i finally managed to get techstream onto my laptop, but that would be a lie, in fact the PC guru we used did it for us, wifey took it to him and he installed it and mentioned he'd done a few of these now, so maybe i'm not the only dunce around  Embarassed

Anyway, so i fire the laptop up all excited and open techstream, yay it works, plug the lead in and click on connect to vehicle, and that's where it all comes to yet another shuddering anti climax because it won't connect to the car ecu.

The lead is lit, my old generic code reader finds the car with no issues so the obd connection must be sound and the car is happy to communicate, so what dear chaps am i doing wrong.

If anyone has a clue what the issue is, please remember i'm about as much use with computers and tech as a cow with a gun, so please make your answers simple  Laughing
Wifey could take the car over next time is it's something involved.

It's mainly for checking injector values i'm after, and i wouldn't mind running it live to see what oil pressure i'm running if the TS system has that facility.

Anyone?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 17:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Les63

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi  Juddian

Got my techstream a year ago I don`t have a disc drive on my lap top and its a 64 bit ,so the e bay seller installed it remotely dead easy I thought until I plugged into the car `cannot connect to vehicle'. He tried again to no avail, copied the disc to a flash drive ,reinstalled to lap top following you tube videos trying 4
times failing at the same point each time. chucked disc and cable in a draw and there it stayed.Car still running great so not bothered. Let us know if and how you  
get it sorted.
                  Good luck Les.
russell.huffer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here got techstream working on my pc, bought the latest lead as told on e bay more functionality but will not talk to the car, ended up with the carly dongle but this has very limited functionality.

Lead just sits on my desk at work as I got bored trying to sort it out.

Kind regards

Russell.
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads.
I don't quite get how some others have got the things working and we can't.

On another forum some posters seem to have got theirs working by trying others leads, somewhere i have another lead, in fact i only saw it couple of weeks ago but do you think i can lay me mitts on it now?

Looks like i'm another one destined never to get the thing working  Sad
sheepish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it installed? I think you can get 64 bit copies these days, but if it's a 32 bit version and someone has "installed" it via a 32 bit (or XP) emulator you may find the emulator can't see the USB ports, so the software can't see the cable. I think I posted how I got mine working somewhere, I just can't remember which forum it was on. I'll have a look.
sheepish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go, cut and pasted from something I wrote somewhere else. All this said, a bit of googling for 64bit techstream might find you some more up to date software. Below was what I did with a cable and software I bought in 2015.

As supplied it doesn't want to work with a 64 bit Windows OS. I couldn't get the Windows 32bit VM for Windows 7 64 bit to recognise USB devices. But I got it to work with Windows 7 64 bit with these instructions http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034
The one thing I had to do differently was use the MCI driver file from the supplied CD rather than the dropbox download set of files shown in the thread. I tried first with all the thread files and although the cable looked to have the drivers installed correctly Techstream gave me connection errors.
sheepish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go, cut and pasted from something I wrote somewhere else. All this said, a bit of googling for 64bit techstream might find you some more up to date software. Below was what I did with a cable and software I bought in 2015.

As supplied it doesn't want to work with a 64 bit Windows OS. I couldn't get the Windows 32bit VM for Windows 7 64 bit to recognise USB devices. But I got it to work with Windows 7 64 bit with these instructions http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034
The one thing I had to do differently was use the MCI driver file from the supplied CD rather than the dropbox download set of files shown in the thread. I tried first with all the thread files and although the cable looked to have the drivers installed correctly Techstream gave me connection errors.
sheepish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks good, but I haven't tried it. http://blog.obdexpress.co.uk/2017/01/24/install-mini-vci-with-techstream-v10-on-64bit-computer/
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sheepish.

The laptop is a 32 bit running windows 7.
The info accompanying the lead came on a flash drive, which my PC guru had no issues inputting (i didn't even bother trying having failed miserably twice before), it's just a case that no communication between car and device.

Still can't lay be hands on that other lead, will be contacting the seller in due course.
sheepish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you confirmed the laptop can see the lead? I don't have a windows laptop here right now to remember exactly where to check, but I think it's device manager. I've certainly had techstream tell me it can't see the car, but it's always meant it can see the lead. Of course it could be a faulty lead.
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that Sheepish, many thanks.

In other news the old girl shot through the MOT today, i changed the engine oil couple of weeks ago and she sounds really sweet, well pleased with that Exol 10/40 Diesel specific semi synth engine oil, the motor has never sounded so good.
russell.huffer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are lucky not to have a dpf, I have always used castrol magnetec but can not use that in the 150 as it has an ash rating of 3 and the 150 has to have oil with an ash rating of 2.

Kind regards

Russell.
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

russell.huffer wrote:
You guys are lucky not to have a dpf, I have always used castrol magnetec but can not use that in the 150 as it has an ash rating of 3 and the 150 has to have oil with an ash rating of 2.

Kind regards

Russell.

Indeed RH, DPF is something i intend to avoid for as long as humanly possible hence the overmaintenance of the beasty.

Banning us with older Diesels from cities is music to my shell likes anyway, the only time i ever go near a city is when someone is paying me rather well to go there, i'd rather stick rusty nails in my eyes than ever go near that london, a place which only has one good thing going for it, the M1 northbound  Twisted Evil
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheepish wrote:
Have you confirmed the laptop can see the lead? I don't have a windows laptop here right now to remember exactly where to check, but I think it's device manager. I've certainly had techstream tell me it can't see the car, but it's always meant it can see the lead. Of course it could be a faulty lead.

I give up, found the other lead, that too lights up, laptop recognises each lead, neither one will connect to vehicle though my donkeys years old Autel code reader can communicate with without issue (though obviously it lacks the in depth readings i'm after).
Lastly the techstream software has a self checking system for the cable, every part of which comes up as not working.

As with others on this thread, yet another techstream system not working, quite how other people (on other forums, or are they the bods flogging it, i'm beginning to wonder) have had such ease and success of getting the perishing thing to work i do not know, harrumph.
My fault for expecting a £25 knock off to do the same job as a proper system costing probably 100 times more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: