All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

KDJ95 2001 LWB D4-D Radiator gone / Transmission problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colineddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 13:54    Post subject: KDJ95 2001 LWB D4-D Radiator gone / Transmission problems Reply with quote

Hey,

I get a lot of good info here and this time I thought I would contribute instead so that I can put something back into the resource.

My LWB 90 series radiator went. The problem is that the bit that went was the barrier between the engine coolant part and the automatic transmission part.

So I think due to the hot coolant pressure and the water pump all of the coolant fluid was forced into the automatic transmission.

The less coolant there was in the engine the hotter it got and the more pressure forced the coolant into the auto box.

Eventually I broke down on the motorway with the temperature very very high.

There was so much fluid (all of it) pumped into the automatic transmission that it pushed it's way out through the transmission pan gasket. Litres of it - huge puddle.

The mixture ended up a kind of thick pink 'goo' - kind of emulsified oil.

I thought the transmission would die.

I got a new radiator and changed that - fiddly but really simple. Also messy with litres of this pink slime everywhere.

I then went through a process of topping up and running until hot, and then draining both the engine coolant and the auto box. Actually to save money for the first engine coolant flush I just used tap water.

After 2 coolant changes which were simple and 4 transmission oil drain / refill cycles using the transmission sump plug everything is back to working and just fine.

Even the gasket on the pan doesn't leak - although I will eventually change it.

So after the garage said is was dead and get whatever money I can for it all is fine.

I hope this helps anyone with the same problem in the future.

Cheers,
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 13:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Edward

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have been really lucky; however I would drop the transmission pan and replace the filter and gasket sooner rather later, if I were you.
Also if you don't know already, you could consider having a small "mod" done where, you fix separate ATF oil cooler instead of using the radiator, so that this type of issue does not happen again.
colineddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think I was lucky - have just ordered a filter / gasket kit from Milners and will do it. next week or two.

A separate cooler would be a good idea - just don't want to spend any money in it that I don't have to because she is an old girl and I may not see my money back...
mks

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it fixed. Hopefully my account here will give you some confidence. It is documented in other posts on here
I had a similar problem with mine at about 120K miles and went through the same ritual although I used the ATF hoses to the rad to do the ATF flush, I used about 60 lites of fluid. Another 80,000 miles on and still running like a dream. This is not necessarily a terminal failure although I would agree it is a design flaw.

Martin
benterrier

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this article after saying farewell to the forum and just have to say why didn't you guys change the Radiator as a precaution when you got the trucks. The forum is full of these Autobox cooling failures. Prevention is better than cure surely. Best of luck. I would be getting rid of the truck before you have problems.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: