4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Grumbling Noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zucchini

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:53    Post subject: Grumbling Noise Reply with quote

Trying to get help with a vehicle noise on a forum is never easy but here goes!

A couple of weeks ago I was hearing a faint grumbling noise from my LC 120 (no - wife wasn't in the car!).  It's got gradually worse since then and here is what I have found -

It's speed related - when I put the car in neutral and roll down a hill, it's still there so rule out an engine noise.  Sounds very like tire scrub but I've checked for wear and the pressure is OK.
Wheel Bearing - usually a wheel bearing noise will come and go if you rock the car from side to side on the move?  This makes no noticeable difference.
Front or back - pretty hard to tell!  Sounds closer to the front.
Left/Right - again, pretty hard to tell.
Hi/Lo selector - I can "feel" the grumbling when I grab the hi/lo selector.  Not sure if there was vibration there before the noise though!
Rear calipers- these are dragging a bit so I will be replacing them soon.
Front calipers - already replaced one and hoping to do the other this weekend.

So, is there anything I should be looking for when I investigate this weekend?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wooly0000

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fella i had something similar at around 130,000 miles when i needed to change the front drive shaft, the car used to "shunt" when moved fron N to D at first i thought it was the propshaft but unfortunatly it wasn't. Might be worth a look
Zucchini

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.  I'll have a look at that tomorrow if the rain stops!  I have just walked past the car an noticed a bit of an oily film on the puddles.  Might help me find what my problem is.  Let's hope it's a burst CV boot or something  relatively easy.
Zucchini

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look to see if there was anything obvious and found nothing.  Embarrassingly the oil in the puddle was from 2 stroke oil I spilled on the rear bumper!
All I could find is the front right wheel bearing is a tiny bit rough so I'll replace that.

So I spent the rest of the time changing the left front caliper, disc and pads.  That's the first time I've had to hammer break pads out.  Well rusted in!
timbo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re wheel bearing, i recently replaced the drivers side on mine, rocking from side to side didnt make much difference, but it was speed related, the faster you go the less noise. I was able to determine free play with the wheel jacked up though.
Zucchini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbo wrote:
Re wheel bearing, i recently replaced the drivers side on mine, rocking from side to side didnt make much difference, but it was speed related, the faster you go the less noise. I was able to determine free play with the wheel jacked up though.

That sounds about the same as I'm experiencing.  Usually steering from side to side changes the note but can't hear any difference.  
I just meet to get some time and weather to allow me to have a look!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: