Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Head Gaskett or Cracked Head !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosienoov2

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:21    Post subject: Head Gaskett or Cracked Head ! Reply with quote

Hi all

It's been another long gap since I've posted on the forum because I have had virtually 10 full years of faultless motoring having bought my lovely Land Cruiser in Jan 2009, apart from the odd minor hiccup.

However, it seems I may have a head gasket or cracked head problem as yesterday she overheated for the 2nd time in 2 weeks and yesterday there appeared to be oil in the coolant this time !  It's now away for diagnostics, will waiting to hear.

I have read the thread about the cracked head but my question is, how successful is a head or head gasket replacement on the 90s ?  I've had three people now tell me that if I have the car repaired it won't last long and that I'd do better putting in a reconditioned engine, which on a 1999 Colorado really isn't worth it.

I've also been looking at worst case scenario and thinking about a replacement.  So was wondering what everyone thought about the Land Cruiser D-4D LC5 (2005 model) and if anyone knows if they have any inherent problems.

Thanks in advance Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wildmutt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rosie,
I replaced the head on my 98 Colorado at 133k miles with a Roughtrax one and so far I have had no problems since. I have just clocked 253k miles. I also replaced theradiator as well as this had blocked and was the cause of mine overheating and cracking the head. I also fitted the 76 degree thermostat to help with cooling and replaced the fluid in the fan. While the head was off i blocked off the EGR vave as this was slowly chocking up the inlet manifold. As I say, so far no problems since. Just change radiator fluid regularly  and check fan clutch.

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Rough Trax head on my KZJ70 and have had no problems since. Mileage isn't high but I see no worries on the horizon.

Roger
Mike TLC
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the head replaced over 100 000 km/ 10 years ago.
Replaced the radiator and thermostat at the same time.
No problems since.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine gasket/AMC Head from Roughtrax - live happily ever after  Smile

Check all the obvious too - Rad/Fan etc, I'm not convinced about the Thermostat change but do that too if it makes you feel better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: