2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

slack on cam belt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew m

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:38    Post subject: slack on cam belt Reply with quote

Hi,
Just done cam belt on my 1999 1kzte, gates belt and new ntn tensioner from roughtrax all went well with some reading on forum but seems as if there is excess slack in long part of belt opposite tensioner, starts to get tight when twisting belt to  90%, anybody else noticed this or am I being over careful.
Cheers Drew
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to twist the longest run by 90' and not really any more was always the rule of thumb for cambelt changes when people used to service their own cars.

The tensioner spring is very very strong,  you wouldn't want such tension acting directly on the belt, hence the amount of leverage involved in the tensioner pivot action, if i recall i couldn't compress the old tensioner directly when i tried putting my entire weight on it.
drew m

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, on thinking about it more,t I turned the engine over with a socket and bar on the crank shaft and the belt tightened up immediately so I'm happier now, the crank maybe moves back a fraction when engine stops giving a bit less tension on the belt, my old tensioner was showing signs of weepage from the top so decided to change it.
Cheers Drew
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tensioner needs to be compressed in a vice and a steel pin inserted through holes to keep the tensioner set ready for fitting. You then turn the cam sprocket to tension the belt before pulling the pin out.

Roger
drew m

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys.
Yeh I did all that except tension the belt by turning the cam sprocket, does the tensioner apply tension all the time if so it should be OK, I would think it has to apply tension all the time.
Cheers Drew
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of turning the cam sprocket anticlockwise is to remove the slack in the section of belt between the cam and driven sprockets. This will confirm whether or not the sprockets are lined up. Yes, the tensioner is always maintaining tension.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: