Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2004 Amazon Suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brimac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57    Post subject: 2004 Amazon Suspension Reply with quote

I bought a 2004 Amazon and the suspension is down, flashing LOW in dash, guy I bought off gave me a height control valve for underneath and I fitted but to no avail, tried bleed system no avail, I know there is 3 other sennsors but do not wanna buy there as I dont know if it will cure this, any ideas?
Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

steven.miles3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

To know why there are problems with the suspension on you LC 100 you have to know how the suspension system works, there two types of suspension on the AHC (Automatic Hight Control) equipped Land Cruisers, they both need to be working properly to allow the suspension to work, each system is reliant on the other, so neither can work by it's self.

This is the basic and simplified layout of the suspension system that is used on a AHC Land Cruiser 100.

System 1) is mechanical, I.E 2 Coil Springs on the rear and 2 Torsion Bars on the front.

System 2 ) is Hydraulic, not air, I.E 4 hydraulic rams (that look like Shock Absorbers) 1 on each corner, and 4 Accumulators (spheres) also a high pressure pump.

The first step (and the cheapest) is to replace the rear springs (I would advise OME) they are generally worn out at about 70-80 thousand miles, depending on what the car has been used for, the front Torsion Bars are adjustable, once this is sorted you can then progress to test the Hydraulic side of the suspension.

The Accumulators (some people call them Spheres, wrongly) are also consumable and also wear out, they have a rubber bladder inside them, in the closed side of the bladder there is OFN (Oxygen Free Nitrogen, at high pressure)  the other side is open to the Hydraulic system, this rubber bladder wears out (rubber is naturally porous) then the OFN leaks into the hydraulic fluid, so the Accumulators loose their springiness.

Apart from checking the Accumulators, by counting the difference between the graduations on the plastic reservoir, when moving the suspension from low to high, you will need to be a little handy with a spanner, and is also all achievable on the ground on you drive.

Warning, Do Not use anything other than Toyota AHC Fluid, if you use any other fluid you WILL damage the Hydraulic side of the suspension.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: