NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

D4d engine damage from overheating - options?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marks 110

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03    Post subject: D4d engine damage from overheating - options? Reply with quote

My recently purchased 2002 Colorado D4d has just suffered radiator failure and overheated to the extent the engine seized. Once cooled it started up but there was a load tapping noise from the engine. The cooling system was being pressurised by combustion gases so have removed the head.

I can see where the head gasket has been blowing, not much damage to gasket but presume head has warped slightly.

N0.1 cylinder has vertical marks at 4 points round the cylinder wall, it doesn't actually feel scored so i'm thinking it may be aluminium from the piston as it expanded and seized. There is also very slight evidence of this on no.4.

Just wondering what to do next. Sure a head skim and gasket would get her running but from the noise it was making i'm sure there's other damage somewhere.

Advice on what to do next please.

P.S.
Did a compression test before dismantling, 360- 400 psi on all cylinders.
Engine done 150,000 miles, not smoking or using oil, had new injectors, bores look excellent.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveWall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a new head, dont know if you can just buy an exchange AMC ready built head for the D4D like you can for the 1KZTE, but that would significantly help speed the process up...

strip bottom end and check crank, con rods etc, just inspect everything - then replace anything marked/worn, hones cylinders and see it they are still in spec, new rings and just go steady double check everything... new seals throughout as you go...

Be like new when your done!
Marks 110

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up pulling the pistons and number 1 is scored from where it seized in the bottom of the bore. Reckon I might get away with just replacing the piston as the damage is fortunately right at the bottom and compression was still good.

However the problem is availability of pistons, apparently there's 2 or 3 different ones. Was quoted £622 for a single piston and a full ring set from toyota!

Don't suppose anyone has an D4d piston lying around? Or a good second hand engine?

Shame to scrap the vehicle as had done loads of other work including new injectors and was running great.

Head has pressure tested ok so can be skimmed and reused.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper to buy

https://www.e bay.co.uk/itm/SHORT-ENGINE-TOYOTA-1KD-FTV-D4-D-FOR-TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-PRADO-HIACE-3-0-LTR/192695730563?hash=item2cdd8f8183:g:748AAOSwzvFbysU0

Remove a piston and sell the rest LoL

I'm joking obviously - try one of the Jap Importers maybe? Or one of the 4x4 breakers, bound to be another cooked engine about
Marks 110

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short engine from toyota £4200, better value than their pistons though! If the vehicle wasn't so badly corroded I'd actually consider it.

Yes I'm currently trying various breakers but those engines seen scarce as only made for 2 years.

Cheers, Mark
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could always have one of the good pistons matched?  Might be cheaper?
Marks 110

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance but how does that work?
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just meant go to one of the motorbike type piston places see if there is a matching spec piston, or if one could be machined up to match (would have to be weighed as well)...  Same with the rings, quite a few suppliers of Piston rings if you can measure up well....
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys like these people

https://www.omegapistons.com/index.php

But they sound expensive!
Marks 110

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth a phone call

Cheers
Marks 110

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to source some pistons via e-bay £200 for the set inc rings plus £50 import tax. Fitted and now up and running again. Knocking noise has gone and engine seems fine, no smoke and plenty of power.

Only time will tell but could be plenty of life in left in the Colorado, certainly pleased I didn't give up on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: