Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

RoughTrax wheel spacers and extended studs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budgey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 15:29    Post subject: RoughTrax wheel spacers and extended studs. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I purchased some 30mm RoughTrax wheel spacers a couple of years ago and I thought now would be a good time to fit them since I am in the process of swapping the brake disks out.

I also bought the extended wheel studs at the same time (my existing ones on the front were too short) and now I have finally got around to opening the box I can see that they are 'significantly' longer. The std studs on my 120 were 45mm in length, and the new RT ones are a whopping 67mm. This extra length makes it impossible to install in situ as the studs foul on the backplate when trying to fit them in the wheel hub. It doesn't seem like the studs need to be as long as they are, and I probably could cut around 10mm off which would perhaps (?) make it possible to get them in place.

My questions are:

Has anyone here fitted them before? If so, did you cut the studs down - or is there another way to get them in?

I understand there is some debate re wheel spacers, and I know they put extra strain on components like ball joints, wheel bearings etc, but my annual mileage in this vehicle is so low (around 5k) that I'm really not too concerned about that.

Any suggestions in terms of the easiest way the get these studs in place would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Terry...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 15:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

budgey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, the RoughTrax website says they are universal and need to be cut down - I should have checked there first. Sorry about that.  Rolling Eyes

That said (on the off-chance) if anyone has done this, do you remember how much you cut them down, and did you then manage to get them in without fouling the backplate?
budgey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I cut the studs down to 53mm overall length, and that was enough to squeeze them between the hub and backplate. This still gave me about 2mm beyond the nut when fitted - while ensuring they didn't protrude past the wheel mating surface.
So, all done. I hope these measurements help someone out if they need to do the same job.

wooly0000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the disks Budgey are they any better at stopping the truck than the O/E ones?
budgey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wooly0000!

I'm loving the brakes so far - did about 300 miles yesterday. I fitted new disks and pads all round from MTEC. I've twice had issues in the past with disks warping, so I'm interested to see how I get on with these. I live in a mountainous area, so the brakes get used quite a bit. I can't say in all honesty whether they are better than OEM as I've been driving with the aforementioned warped disks for the past 6 months - so coupled with my goldfish-like memory I don't feel like I can accurately compare them to OEM. I'm also not sure whether the grooves and dimples actually help with braking effectiveness, but my hope is they may help with cooling...
Anyway, I will certainly update here if I have problems, but if you don't hear from me then assume all is hunky dory.  Very Happy

Here's a pic of the ol' girl. I think she looks a bit beefier now with the spacers and BFGs!

Cheers!

thumbright
wooly0000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks budgey its a great looking truck  Cool  with some great countryside behind  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: