Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Which Landcruiser is the most reliable one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Dabolina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:50    Post subject: Which Landcruiser is the most reliable one? Reply with quote

Hello people,
I want to buy a Landcruiser because I think they're the most beautifull SUV's. But there is a lot of choise in the second hand car market. But which Landcruiser is the best and most reliable in your opinions? I've heard of a lot of 3.0 Diesel engines that can break down after 150K miles. So, would you guys recommend a gasoline Landcruiser? And are the V8's better than the 4 cilinders? And which are the best build years?
Overhere in the Netherlands it's cheap to drive on LPG. Are there people who have experience with that?
Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the 3 litre so long as the injector seals are sorted, the injectors replaced if they are getting worn and it gets some regular oil changes, though its hardly alone in benefitting from good maintenance, every vehicle on the planet is the same in that regard.

Simple usually means reliable, so the less electronic stuff the better.
70 or 80 series for heavy duty models, you can still get 70 series new if you are prepared to pay for a personal import but big money there, 80 series is probably the toughest full size Cruiser ever made but they're getting on a bit now and things will naturally need fixing.
100 series is a lovely motor to drive but IMHO it got a bit too complicated for its own good, 200 series even more so, a 105 series on the other hand is superb.

Depending on your budget i reckon you'd struggle to beat a 120 series, preferably without the air rear suspension adjustable shocks or touch screen dashboard, with either the 3.4 or 4.0 litre V6 petrol engines for reliability and grunt.
LPG conversion could be an issue because so many petrol versions seem to have the fuel tank at the rear behind the back axle, which is otherwise the perfect siting for an LPG tank.
V8 100 series can suffer valve seat recession on LPG and it is by no means a cheap fix for that number of valves and seats if VSR happens.

The only things that have ever failed in any of my Cruisers, so far thats a 70 series 3 litre Diesel, 90 series 3.4 petrol, mk 6 Hilux 3.0 litre Diesel and the current 120 series Diesel, the alternator died on my 120 which cost me £126 for a Lucas recon unit and about 2 hours total time to remove and refit, nothing else apart from friction materials and consumables, oh and maybe half a dozen bulbs over the years.

Underbody rust is the biggest issue, mainly caused by neglectful first owners, other than that i can't think of a more reliable vehicle other than a 90's built Toyota Corolla/Carina.
Mr. Dabolina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clear information. This makes my search a lot easier
eterater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 14:02    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Mr. Dabolina wrote:
Thank you for the clear information. This makes my search a lot easier

Have you decided to go for a Landcruiser?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: