Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brake Sticking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dp639

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:15    Post subject: Brake Sticking Reply with quote

Hi,
I have bought a new (to me) 2015 Landcruiser 7 seater.  I have it 2 weeks now so still in warranty.

I have noticed a few times now that the rear brakes on drivers side seem to be sticking - a bit of the usual smell and excessive heat.  This has only happened 3 or 4 times, each time its been in the rain and for only short journeys, the longest of which was about 8 or 9 miles.

Does this indicate a failing caliper?  or is it something to do with Brake Drying? - I'd never heard of brake drying before a bit of googling!!

Thanks for any advice.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be caliper partially seizing, or handbrake shoes sticking.

Handbrake shoes can stick to the drums after you wash the car, i make a point of leaving the parking brake off after washing, if you are able to park safely and leave the parking brake off it might help pinpoint whether its a caliper or parking brake issue...note sometimes if they stick badly you can drive off with a completely locked rear wheel, just reversing a few feet normally unsticks the thing.

Japanese calipers, they arn't alone in this, suffer salt corrosion issues, every other year at least it's sensible to remove all pads,  clean up and lube with the correct brake grease, not coppaslip, then exercise the pistons in their bores before reassembly, do this regularly and OE calipers will see the life of the car out.

Either way it needs to go in and be fixed.
dp639

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Juddian.

Still under its warrantly with the dealer so best get it looked at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: