Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Spare tyre winch - lost or knackered "key"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 18:35    Post subject: Spare tyre winch - lost or knackered "key" Reply with quote

this is just a heads up - as it happened to me today - I needed to take the spare off to have a new tyre fitted

well my security key rounded in the mechanism - mmmmm, a 5 min job, now looking like it would take all day

I looked at taking the cross member off, but that looked like a nightmare job

in the end I came up with a much much simpler (two step) solution which hopefully will benefit others in a similar situation

when you look thru the bumper blanking plate hole you will see a plastic collar - that sits around the security lock assembly and help with locating the key in the mechanism

Step 1 . remove the this plastic collar

I prised it off with a screwdriver, working from underneath, quite easily - a bit of luck with the wheel access, as I could see it thru the spokes, but it came off "in one" and intact

once removed you will see that the security lock assembly has lugs that actually turn the winch mechanism (the security lock assembly is a dealer fitted post assembly option)

step 2. get a piece of steel/aluminium tube (90cm long with an internal diameter of roughly 30 to 32 mm) and angle grind/cut some vertical groves to sit over the lugs, slide this over the security mechanism and engage the lugs - do the cuts at both ends of the tubes, the other end will be used for the standard Toyota hook tool to turn the winch

so in effect you have a made a female to female converter that presents the standard interface back to how it would be without the security mechanism fitted

when I had actually worked out how the mechanism worked - it took 10  mins to make the tool (I did have the right tools to do it, aka bench vice, angle grinder with 1mm cutting disks, suitable tube, although I did have to flare is a bit

job done!!!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 18:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 18:58    Post subject: Re: Spare tyre winch - lost or knackered "key" Reply with quote

hodgy0_2 wrote:
this is just a heads up - as it happened to me today - I needed to take the spare off to have a new tyre fitted

well my security key rounded in the mechanism - mmmmm, a 5 min job, now looking like it would take all day

I looked at taking the cross member off, but that looked like a nightmare job

in the end I came up with a much much simpler (two step) solution which hopefully will benefit others in a similar situation

when you look thru the bumper blanking plate hole you will see a plastic collar - that sits around the security lock assembly and help with locating the key in the mechanism

Step 1 . remove the this plastic collar

I prised it off with a screwdriver, working from underneath, quite easily - a bit of luck with the wheel access, as I could see it thru the spokes, but it came off "in one" and intact

once removed you will see that the security lock assembly has lugs that actually turn the winch mechanism (the security lock assembly is a dealer fitted post assembly option)

step 2. get a piece of steel/aluminium tube (90cm long with an internal diameter of roughly 30 to 32 mm) and angle grind/cut some vertical groves to sit over the lugs, slide this over the security mechanism and engage the lugs - do the cuts at both ends of the tubes, the other end will be used for the standard Toyota hook tool to turn the winch

so in effect you have a made a female to female converter that presents the standard interface back to how it would be without the security mechanism fitted

when I had actually worked out how the mechanism worked - it took 10  mins to make the tool (I did have the right tools to do it, aka bench vice, angle grinder with 1mm cutting disks, suitable tube, although I did have to flare is a bit

job done!!!!!

The moral to this story is keep your winch lubricated !
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, although in my case it was more to do with over tightening, compounded by "rushing"

so the over tightening was due to me trying to work out if a loose/dangly spare wheel was the source of a knock I can hear (see earlier post) - so I tightening it up about 6 months ago

and the "rushing" was that typical "oh this will only take me 10 mins " talk to my wife

In fact last year I took the car on one of its many trans Europe trips to the Alp's - and part of the prep I did was too remove the spare and grease it all - checking my car toolkit in the process

as a will do when I put the spare back on (after a new tyre fitted)

In fact I am going to remove the locking mechanism altogether I find them a pain tbh (locking wheel nuts as well)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: