Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4x4 not engaging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tempo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 20:43    Post subject: 4x4 not engaging Reply with quote

Hi I have a 1999 4.7 landcruiser amazon. About  2 weeks ago went through big puddle so had to engage 4x4 which worked. Since then light won't come on and it won't engage. Am I right that you go into neutral before engaging 4x4.

Any help will be appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 20:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 20:59    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging Reply with quote

tempo wrote:
Hi I have a 1999 4.7 landcruiser amazon. About  2 weeks ago went through big puddle so had to engage 4x4 which worked. Since then light won't come on and it won't engage. Am I right that you go into neutral before engaging 4x4.

Any help will be appreciated

The Amazon is always in 4x4 (you cannot switch it off)
The only thing you can do is engage diff locks and low range , in both case you are better off engaging Neutral first.
One question though "why would you engage any thing" just just to go through a puddle ?
tempo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for response. I don't think it is in 4x4 all the time as only my front wheels spin when am trying to get out the side of my drive which is grass.

When the rain was bad two weeks ago, the puddle poked like a swimming pool. My young son drove through and damaged his engine so had to get him out
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

tempo wrote:
Thanks for response. I don't think it is in 4x4 all the time as only my front wheels spin when am trying to get out the side of my drive which is grass.

When the rain was bad two weeks ago, the puddle poked like a swimming pool. My young son drove through and damaged his engine so had to get him out

Hi again
As I said the amazon is classed as constant four wheel drive and whilst it will spin on a slippery surface on say the two front wheels, so to stop that happening you need to
select the center diff lock, which will lock front to rear, so if the rears have a a solid grip then that will get you off the slippery stuff,but only use the centre diff lock when
you need it as you can do damage if you use it on a hard surface.
You also have a option to use low range, which will also give better traction when things are slippery, but not that you are likely to use that all the time as you just would
not travel very fast.
The Amazon is a very capable vehicle without the toys but if you do need them they are there, but there is certainly no need for a diff lock in deepesh water (unless it is
very muddy) and as you said your son drove in with a car I would not think that was a issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: