4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Battery charging issue maybe alternator? Not sure any help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:33    Post subject: Battery charging issue maybe alternator? Not sure any help? Reply with quote

Hi All,

My 2005 LC4 is still going strong since Nov 2016 apart from the usual MOTs and yearly services and adding 2 new batteries less that a year ago (doing aver 10-12k mp year).

Last few days, I started to notice the radio would go off and then come back on.  I know its a *beep* old aftermarket job and was in the car when I bought it.

Also noticed on sunday on start up the console light were a little dim, so thought, will take it to check the batteries.

Wedneday took it took my local car shop (bought the batteries from).

This was the results

@1500rpm showing 13.78 both batteries
@ tick over showing 12.39

Chap said a little low and something is drawing power - could be a faulty wire, bad earth, alternator...

Thursday - Got a number for a car sparky - he said £70 to pop in to do a check - he can test it and have a poke to see what is happening maybe alternator or wires or something else

Today Friday - Started car this morning - dropped the wee one off to school run bus stop, got back home to take the 2nd one to school

Within 15 mins - the car wont start - dimmed lights as if batteries have died

Jump started it and after a few mins working well.

Took it to the car shop and same thing they said my call - sparky or car garage to look at the alternator.

I think something over night is drawing power or the batteries are not getting a charge or the alternator could be on the way out.

Any help or advice on the above - sparky is not available until next thursday, which does not help - so need to look at another quicker solution

At the house at the moment and starting fine, I do have a car battery charger at home!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

budgey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check and clean the terminals on the rear of the alternator - you can reach them if you remove the small shield under the driver's side wheel arch. Undo the terminal and clean well with a small wire brush as it gets very corroded. Also, while you're at it check the battery terminals are clean too - all this made a real difference for me and improved the charging voltage while on idle quite significantly.
Good luck!  thumbleft
budgey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this video really useful when I was troubleshooting my problem - particularly the voltage drop test which is about half way through.
Hope it helps.
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local sparky supplied a Lucas recon unit for mine for £126 incl, took me about 2 hours to remove/refit, easiest way is to remove the driver's side wheel, and go in through the loose flaps on the inner wing.
If he's going to charge you £70 just to check the current one, you might as well chuck a recon on and be done with it, it's a fair bet the present alternator is dying anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: