Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colineddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 16:01    Post subject: Oil leak Reply with quote

Hi my LWB 2001 Auto D-4D has an oil leak.

I am quite handy, I've done the diff seals, brakes, radiator, timing belt, anti roll bar and more.. but this seems tricky.

First thing is to find where it's coming from I suppose.

It seems to be very close the the oil filter - the oil filter seems tightly on so I presume it's not the oil filter seal but is there a likely culprit right under the oil filter?

Any help much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 16:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lennytoyota

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the engine before yours there is a little bowl under the oil filter that catches any oil when you remove the oil filter as its fitted upside down,this bowl is connected to a pipe which runs down your engine to where the sump plug is so it can catch oil that spills during a oil change. Not sure if its the same on yours,if your oil filter is fitted upside down it's probably has the bowl fitted.

Lenny
colineddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks lennytoyota

My oil filter was the problem

Yes I do have that little bowl and it has a little hose to drip spilled oil down onto the ground and it was clogged but this wasn't exactly the problem

When I touched the oil filter it moved - it had come loose - only done up the tiniest amount

I have tightened it with my fingers as hard as I possibly can - I have strong fingers - an hey presto no more leak

The weird thing is that given the amount of oil that was leaking I assumed that there was no way this could be the problem because the little lip / bowl thing under it was not soaked with oil. Yes it was oily but not drpping

I think that the vibration of the engine when running was enough to shake the oil out of this little lip - it would have been hot and runny so thats my explanation

There is no denying - tightened it up and no leak - it was defo just a loose oil filter.

So I am posting this reply in order that someone in the future may benefit from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: