4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trailer plug wiring and additional rear lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beastrider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 23:49    Post subject: Trailer plug wiring and additional rear lights Reply with quote

Hello -I am trying to understand the wiring in the trailer plug (located in the rear left quarter panel near the jack). I have a 1999 KZJ95R which has never had a towbar fitted so I assume the wiring is original. I have:
Green - tail light
Green/white - stop light
Green/yellow - indicator
Green/black - indicator
Red/black - reverse
White/red - ???????

There is power to all of them when the appropriate switch is on, except for white/red. Neither is white/red connected to earth. I don't know what it's for. Wiring diagrams say there should be a white/black earth connection in the trailer plug but I have seen other posts saying that the plug doesn't have an earth. So I'm confused. Any thoughts on what the white/red is for?

I am also adding extra lights to the rear clusters as many others have. Stop/tail lights in the upper lenses (currently clear), reverse and indicators in the middle clear lenses and fog lights in the lower red lenses. I understand the wiring in the light cluster plugs except that, in the left side plug, there is no power to the red/yellow position (fog). Should there be power to it? - I have read various posts saying that some wires are redundant because the same looms get used for left and right hand drive vehicles, but those posts are normally talking about reverse lights not being powered on both sides. Both my reverse light wires are powered.

What is the best way to wire the indicators? I was thinking to power them from the trailer plug since I don't use it otherwise - that's why I was checking the wiring on the trailer plug but was confused by the lack of earth.

Incidentally, my plan is to use 'VHT Niteshade' red lens paint on the upper lenses. I have used it before to restore faded red plastic lenses with excellent results (although I use different instructions than those printed on the can).

Any advice on the wiring questions would be appreciated. Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 23:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 13:42    Post subject: Re: Trailer plug wiring and additional rear lights Reply with quote

Beastrider wrote:
Hello -I am trying to understand the wiring in the trailer plug (located in the rear left quarter panel near the jack). I have a 1999 KZJ95R which has never had a towbar fitted so I assume the wiring is original. I have:
Green - tail light
Green/white - stop light
Green/yellow - indicator
Green/black - indicator
Red/black - reverse
White/red - ???????

There is power to all of them when the appropriate switch is on, except for white/red. Neither is white/red connected to earth. I don't know what it's for. Wiring diagrams say there should be a white/black earth connection in the trailer plug but I have seen other posts saying that the plug doesn't have an earth. So I'm confused. Any thoughts on what the white/red is for?

I am also adding extra lights to the rear clusters as many others have. Stop/tail lights in the upper lenses (currently clear), reverse and indicators in the middle clear lenses and fog lights in the lower red lenses. I understand the wiring in the light cluster plugs except that, in the left side plug, there is no power to the red/yellow position (fog). Should there be power to it? - I have read various posts saying that some wires are redundant because the same looms get used for left and right hand drive vehicles, but those posts are normally talking about reverse lights not being powered on both sides. Both my reverse light wires are powered.

What is the best way to wire the indicators? I was thinking to power them from the trailer plug since I don't use it otherwise - that's why I was checking the wiring on the trailer plug but was confused by the lack of earth.

Incidentally, my plan is to use 'VHT Niteshade' red lens paint on the upper lenses. I have used it before to restore faded red plastic lenses with excellent results (although I use different instructions than those printed on the can).

Any advice on the wiring questions would be appreciated. Thanks

Fog light !
Beastrider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that the white/red is for the trailer fog light? I thought I had checked that already but I’ll double check it. How do the trailer lights get earthed? Thanks
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beastrider wrote:
Do you mean that the white/red is for the trailer fog light? I thought I had checked that already but I’ll double check it. How do the trailer lights get earthed? Thanks

Hi
I don't know the exact wiring but you did not know what the red/white was for, so I suggested it could be the fog,
As far as the earth I suspect they possably don't run the earth in loom it will connect to the chassis earth.

What you have to do get the MM out and check from the socket on the car(there is pleanty of diagrams on the net)but don't forget
the fog cut out in the socket (or fog cut out relay) and see where the wires go in the socket in the loom
Beastrider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - I checked using a test lamp but the white/red has no power going to it with the lights and rear fog light switches on. I’ll search for better wiring diagrams on the net, The Haynes and Max Ellery manuals aren’t helping. Thanks
Beastrider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Radiotwo - do you have any recommendations for online manuals/diagrams that have helped you?
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beastrider wrote:
Hello Radiotwo - do you have any recommendations for online manuals/diagrams that have helped you?

Hi
Sorry I have no recomendations,I did have a look and found this:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/10sojH29sRpNmxOltUFfflyihScFnjPPr/view
But it it is not very helpful,But I wonder if the socket you are viewing is the right one but might be a idea if you took some pictures and let us
have a look.
Beastrider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - There are three sockets in the left rear quarter panel where the jack is stored - a small white one for the rear power outlet, a large blue one (they both have some foam covering) and a white 6-pin one which is the one I have been talking about. I can’t see how to attach photos. Maybe I’m too new (or perhaps a bit dim). Thanks for the link. As you said, it didn’t help this time but useful for the future.
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beastrider wrote:
Hi - There are three sockets in the left rear quarter panel where the jack is stored - a small white one for the rear power outlet, a large blue one (they both have some foam covering) and a white 6-pin one which is the one I have been talking about. I can’t see how to attach photos. Maybe I’m too new (or perhaps a bit dim). Thanks for the link. As you said, it didn’t help this time but useful for the future.

I have sent PM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: