Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Parking brake adjustment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsviatko

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:10    Post subject: Parking brake adjustment Reply with quote

I'm trying to make my parking brake work as supposed to. So I fixed and greased everything that was stuck in the system and I tried adjusting the thing. I'd tighten the adjusting screw to the point where I am unable to rotate the brake disc and then I'd relax it to the point where it gets free again. That works just fine. the problem is once I do that on both sides the bellcrank stopper bolt (47639-30020) on the offside will end up being an inch away from the plate it's supposed to touch. That definitely does not seem right. It's as if the length of the cable connecting both sides is wrong or something. Is there any other adjustment I can do?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Bullwire

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.spam/forums/showthread.php/34957-Getting-the-best-from-your-hand-brake
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been interesting to know the solution to this, it's similar to the problem I'm having with mine, seems as though the slave cable is an inch or 2 too short. Long shot, but if the OP happens to see this perhaps you'd reply with your fix.
andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way to do it is slacken all of the cables, then adjust the shoes as you have done, then free off and adjust the cables and swivels, if this doesn't work you may need to look at this Brake Upgrade.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
The way to do it is slacken all of the cables, then adjust the shoes as you have done, then free off and adjust the cables and swivels, if this doesn't work you may need to look at this Brake Upgrade.

Thanks for the reply but that's not what I'm asking. I know how to adjust and set up the handbrake procedure (at leats I think I do Smile)

The question I'm asking or the problem I have is best explained in the pic below. In the pic, in order for me to reattach the slave cable to the handbrake bell crank lever I'm going to have to push the crank lever away from the drum back plate out to meet the cable and this is putting a lot of tension on the crank and meaning the crank won't be able to rest against the drum plate when the handbrake in the cabin is off. I think the slave cable is too short but need to see another cruiser to compare.
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assure you that cables will not shrink, so unless someone has fitted the wrong one in the past, it must be down to adjustment.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the adjustment on the slave cable? All there is onmy slave cable going across the axle is a pivot point where it and the main handbrake cable for the passenger side meet, this pivot is clean and is free to move / rotate, there's then just 2 brackets holding it to the axle and a crimp on each end of the cable.

The bell crank lever seems to be resting at is's proper point with the cable removed, the bell crank matches the position that the passenger side crank is at so all looks fine regards the crank levers with the slave wire disconnected. The problem arises when trying to put the slave cable onto the crank lever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: