Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Coolant overflow

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
You might as well leave the stat out - this will prevent any potential further problems with the existing stat, then replace with new.

The only downside is the engine wont come up to temp properly, so the fan doesnt blow warm.

The toyota dealers in taunton have the pre-mixed antifreeze in stock.

Pete

Sorry, but pre-mixed is not a good idea. Find out the total fluid content of the system Buy neat anti-freeze for half this quantity. Drain your cooling system and back flush as best you can. On the 1-KZT engine you can drain the rad. and the engine block. When satisfied that you have flushed or drained all of the old stuff out, re-fit the drain plugs and then pour the neat anti-freeze into the rad. or cylinder head. Keep back sufficient for overflow tank. When and only when all of the anti-freeze has gone in do you start to add water. Continue till full. Then go and have a cup of coffee/tea. When you come back add water to bring to max. Empty overflow tank and clean out any *beep*. Fill with water to max. level and pour into measuring jug. Empty water and fill with anti-freeze/water 50/50.

Start engine and allow to warm up to operating temp. Allow to cool and then top up with water. Go for run to make certain anti-freeze/water is thoroughly mixed.

OK, OK, yes, I'm being pedantic but that system gives you the correct 50/50 mix that you need. If you drain a system and expect to get all the old fluid out, forget it, cause it aint going to happen. I've just done the Shogun and that doesn't have an engine drain. System takes 10 litres. I drained the rad. removed the hose and stat. and flushed for 20 minutes. Replaced everything and filled with 5 litres anti-freeze. Started with the water and put in 1 litre and that was that. If I had put in pre-mixed, I would have put in 6 litres to mix with the 4 litres of water already in the system. That means instead of 5 litres anti-freeze in the system, I would have had 3 ie 30% instead of 50%.

It doesn't matter what system you have, you will never drain out all the old coolant. We've just had a very cold December and Winter is't over yet.

Roger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 20:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Phil70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Fairclough wrote:
wobbly wrote:
You might as well leave the stat out - this will prevent any potential further problems with the existing stat, then replace with new.

The only downside is the engine wont come up to temp properly, so the fan doesnt blow warm.

The toyota dealers in taunton have the pre-mixed antifreeze in stock.

Pete

Sorry, but pre-mixed is not a good idea. Find out the total fluid content of the system Buy neat anti-freeze for half this quantity. Drain your cooling system and back flush as best you can. On the 1-KZT engine you can drain the rad. and the engine block. When satisfied that you have flushed or drained all of the old stuff out, re-fit the drain plugs and then pour the neat anti-freeze into the rad. or cylinder head. Keep back sufficient for overflow tank. When and only when all of the anti-freeze has gone in do you start to add water. Continue till full. Then go and have a cup of coffee/tea. When you come back add water to bring to max. Empty overflow tank and clean out any *beep*. Fill with water to max. level and pour into measuring jug. Empty water and fill with anti-freeze/water 50/50.

Start engine and allow to warm up to operating temp. Allow to cool and then top up with water. Go for run to make certain anti-freeze/water is thoroughly mixed.

OK, OK, yes, I'm being pedantic but that system gives you the correct 50/50 mix that you need. If you drain a system and expect to get all the old fluid out, forget it, cause it aint going to happen. I've just done the Shogun and that doesn't have an engine drain. System takes 10 litres. I drained the rad. removed the hose and stat. and flushed for 20 minutes. Replaced everything and filled with 5 litres anti-freeze. Started with the water and put in 1 litre and that was that. If I had put in pre-mixed, I would have put in 6 litres to mix with the 4 litres of water already in the system. That means instead of 5 litres anti-freeze in the system, I would have had 3 ie 30% instead of 50%.

It doesn't matter what system you have, you will never drain out all the old coolant. We've just had a very cold December and Winter is't over yet.

Roger

Ok il get some comma concentrate instead of the toyota red.

Phil

My cruiser:
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66422#66422
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, should have said CarPlan Premium Red. It has a 5 year extended life. From memory it cost me approx £13 plus VAT for 5 litres.

It conforms to BS6580 (1992) and Volkswagen (G12/TL-774D).

Roger
Phil70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Fairclough wrote:
Oops, should have said CarPlan Premium Red. It has a 5 year extended life. From memory it cost me approx £13 plus VAT for 5 litres.

It conforms to BS6580 (1992) and Volkswagen (G12/TL-774D).

Roger

Il see if i can get that, although i need to get it today as im doing the change tomorow. So if i cant get that il get the comma stuff.

Thanks Phil

My cruiser:
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66422#66422
wobbly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger

Am trying to help a mate with a heat worry (2.4 of course!).

If I read your earlier post correctly, when the engine cools it sucks the water out of the reservoir.......his worry is that he is putting water in the reservoir, but when he checks it there's none in there!

He's checking it when the engines cold.....so I'm thinking he needs to top up his cooling system with antifreeze then give it a run, let it cool down and then check the reservoir, if its empty when cold he needs to add more to the rad...

Its my fault, I mentioned the head problem - which I see no sign of - and now he's obsessed!

I watched for bubbles in the reservoir, there were one or two over about 20 minutes - I expected to see what looks like a straw being blown down. His rad cap also looks suspect, which cant help, have suggested he change it for a genuine toyota one.

Pete
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just answered part of this on ahem another forum but as to the rest------

On the basis that the antifreeze/water mix in the rad. is at 50/50, then the mixture in the overflow bottle should be the same. It can take a while, depends on mileage and how many cold/hot/cold cycles the engine has done for the system to settle down. It's all about flushing all the trapped bubbles out of the system.

Never add just water to the system as you will be diluting the antifreeze. Once everything has settled down, re/fill the rad. to the brim and the overflow tank to the max. mark. Don't worry if the overflow tank blows out some of this water. It will decide just how much it wants in there. Each cap is rated to a certain opening pressure but this rating cannot be guaranteed. Just as long as it finds a level and sticks to it. The rad. should always show full but you must allow the engine to be cold ie overnight.

You will soon know if there are exhaust gases penetrating into the system. The water temp. will rise rapidly, there will be noises in the system as the gases circulate, the pressure in the system rises and will quickly overcome the pressure rating of the cap and all hell lets loose. If this is simply a case of overheating due to the heat output of the engine exceeding the cooling capacity of the system, then let the engine idle for a couple of minutes. If the temp. drops and the engine quietens down, you may be ok. If the temp. continues to rise then shut down the engine. Suspect either gasket or cracked head.

Roger
wobbly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger, I've never had a car that has either overheated or had a head problem, so although I know in theory what to look for I didnt know what bubbles needed worrying about! His dont, what he needs is a mate who doesnt tell him his head might be cracked.....

Cheers

Pete
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
Thanks Roger, I've never had a car that has either overheated or had a head problem, so although I know in theory what to look for I didnt know what bubbles needed worrying about! His dont, what he needs is a mate who doesnt tell him his head might be cracked.....

Cheers

Pete

"Hey mate, yer heads cracked"

"*beep*, ger think I should go down the hospital and get an X-ray"?

Bum Bum.

Ok, ok. I'll get me coat.

Roger
lj78kiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

garanted head cracked. Trust me Had exact shit happen. Ended up doing bottom end too cost me $5000 new zealand dollards Runs a treat now
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5,000 Dollars!!!

Should have gone to Spec-Save and got a 3 litre.

Roger
lj78kiwi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

3litre? You mean non turbo? Cant turbo them. Pistons arnt ceramic coated no good!
or 1kz, what a *beep* to fit
Fredrick Champlin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

really impressive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: