NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colorado fails to start when warm / hot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mash47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 20:54    Post subject: Colorado fails to start when warm / hot Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 1997 Toyota LC Colorado 3.0 TD Auto (84k miles) which I've owned for the last 17 years.  It occasionally fails to start when the engine is warm and almost always fails to start when the engine is hot.  The engine turns on the starter motor as normal, however the following dashboard warning lights fail to illuminate when the ignition is turned on: glow plug, check engine and A/T oil temp, even though there is 12v on the glow plugs supply rail.  On a successful start the glow plug light goes out after 1 second (12v on glow plugs supply rail stays on for 2 minutes after starting), the check engine and A/T oil temp warning lights go out once the engine has started.  The engine has never stopped running because of this, it's just a starting problem and the check engine warning light has never come on while running.

Hoping someone can figure out what's happening here.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 20:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

locodriver65

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 15:15    Post subject: engine wont start Reply with quote

Hi
I have a colorado with 183k on the clock...

If a diesel wont start it could be fuel related,, If its turning over on the starter  and fuel is entering the cylinders it  should start when hot.

When I had a blocked fuel filter last year my engine quit .  no fuel getting to the engine so no start.  New filter  cured the problem.

Good Luck

Paul
diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes strange electrical problems are caused by bad earths. I think you are saying that some of the lights on the dashboard do not illuminate when they should in your no-start situations? Check the main earth strap from the negative battery terminal to the body. Mine was screwed to the bodywork and the screw was a bit corroded. I cleaned it all up and it cured a weird rough idle that I had developed. Worth a look.

BTW you rarely see the glow plug light on these when starting, even when cold, and you certainly wouldn't expect to see it when the engine is warm.
mash47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here's an update on my previous post.

The problem was caused by an ECU fault that resulted in the diesel spill valve relay not energising. An electrolytic capacitor (47uF 63v, C011) had leaked onto the circuit board. I replaced the capacitor but the electrolyte had damaged the copper on the circuit board and the lead of an adjacent diode (D012). I replaced the diode with the equivalent of a 1N4001 and linked the negative terminals of D001 and D012, together with a link to the positive terminal of capacitor C001 due to the damaged copperwork.

The ECU details: Toyota 89661-60560, Denso 175800-1723 12v 1KZ-TE A/T

Hoping this helps others with a similar fault.
mash47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I tried to post an image of the area of the ECU where the damage described above occurred. Apparently I'm not allowed to post urls as I haven't reached a pre-determined number of legitimate posts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: