Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tyre pressures 1999 Prado 3.0 TD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimupahill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 17:57    Post subject: Tyre pressures 1999 Prado 3.0 TD Reply with quote

Hi all, brand new to this vehicle, just bought one so forgive me the 'newbie' question.
It's a J90 Jap import manufactured 1999. It's come fitted with BF Goodrich tyres.
They had 41 psi in all round. However, owners manual says unladen 29psi (2 bar) all round and an online search says 32psi (2.2 bar). A local mechanic says 32 psi front, 38 psi rear.
Can't figure why they had 41psi in (ride did seem harsh) but 30 psi does seem low for such a big heavy vehicle. My background is overloading on motorcycles so I have very little knowledge of 4WD tyres and pressures. Help .....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 17:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Col 7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening Jim and welcome.

I wondered the same as you 10 years ago, read on here that 34 - 38 psi was probably more
appropriate, depending on load.

Settled on 36psi all round unless the 'cruiser absolutely laden.

The General Grabbers have lasted over 50k miles a set. Now on 3rd set and never put a foot wrong.

Great trucks Cool

hth

Col
Jimupahill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col 7 wrote:
Evening Jim and welcome.

I wondered the same as you 10 years ago, read on here that 34 - 38 psi was probably more
appropriate, depending on load.

Settled on 36psi all round unless the 'cruiser absolutely laden.

The General Grabbers have lasted over 50k miles a set. Now on 3rd set and never put a foot wrong.

Great trucks Cool

hth

Col

Thanks for that Col. If your getting that mileage over 3 sets then 36psi sounds like it works well! Meant to put on my post the BF Goodrich tyres on mine are the A/T (All Terrain I think)
Jim
modvrs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 29/29 on my petrol five-door Colorado. Good ride and perfect tyre wear over 15000 miles on Yokohama A/T tyres. Crashes badly over potholes at 40PSI (I know because I over-pressured them during lockdown and forgot when I drove it again).
Jimupahill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

modvrs wrote:
I run 29/29 on my petrol five-door Colorado. Good ride and perfect tyre wear over 15000 miles on Yokohama A/T tyres. Crashes badly over potholes at 40PSI (I know because I over-pressured them during lockdown and forgot when I drove it again).

Hi modvrs, thanks for that info. I also had crashing over potholes when I picked this vehicle up from London and test drove it as it was at the 41 psi at that point unbeknownst to me. I'm down at 30 all round at present and a much softer ride. I might ask Julian (the South African guy) at overland-cruisers.co.uk his thoughts as he seems to be a bit of an expert in this. Given your answer and the other one I've had I'm definitely not going back to 40+ psi (I'll save that pressure for my motorcycle when we're 2-up fully loaded)!
Tks again, Jim
diggerdave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussion of tyre pressures is always fun - you hear everything from mid twenties to mid 40s and everything in between. Truth is, it doesn't seem to matter much as long as they're the same on the same axle and you certainly won't find any manufacturer's recommendations once you change from stock sizes. I treat them just like any other tyre and stick to around 32 all round... which is pretty much what I use for every car I've ever owned.
Jimupahill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

"32 all round... which is pretty much what I use for every car I've ever owned".

Love it, keep life simple !  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: