Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Gearbox limp mode

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrese

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 16:03    Post subject: Gearbox limp mode Reply with quote

Hi
Have 06 d4d auto landcruiser
Sometimes goes to limp mode
Told gearbox issue
Stop/start resets it
Any guidance would be  fantastico
R
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 16:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing i'd do is change the oil, not only is sealed for life a load of old cobblers anway, but by dropping and inspecting the oil (for coolant contamnation) you have ruled out that thankfully rare but catastrophic problem of radiators an auto versions (90's suffered this mainly) splitting internally allowing coolant to enter the auto trans fluid.

Even if this isn't the problem it's a service item you've carried out anyway and ruled out that radiator issue to boot, it's a messy job but a reasonable job for a faily competent DIYer, you don't need to buy Mr T's WS oil, but you must use WT standard oil in the 5 speed box, Dexron 6 of most quality oil makes includes WS (World Standard).
You will need an oil pump or syringe to get the oil into the filler hole, which is half way up the OS of the gearbox.

There are several good youtube videos showing how to do this job yourself, you don't necessarily need to hot wire the connections on the OBD port as shown, i used an LED remote thermometer to get the oil to the correct temp for level checking.
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have said, i drained and refilled 3 sumpfulls initially, roughly 4 litres per drain, then refilled and ran the vehicle for a few minutes in all gears to circulate the oil then drained again, you have to either do this or disconnect one of the radiator cooling pipes and refill as you pump out with engine running, whichever way you choose you won't change every drop of oil because the torque converter will always be holding some oil.
Patrese

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already changed the ATF and filter
also  replaced the coolant pipes
still goes into limp mode sometimes Sad
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the gearbox is changing gear ok, picking up smartly from test etc, then maybe it isn't a gearbox issue at all.

Have you asked Toyots to perform diagnostics, i would have thought rural dealers especially in your neck of the woods are less likely to throw new parts at problems hoping upon a fix.
Patrese

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had diags done
Not by toyota but local
Diagnostic guy
Came back gearbox prob Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad
wooly0000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrese i had problems with my gearbox which in part was caused by a faulty ECU, the fault with the ECU was hard to trace because it it would change gear into 5th then drop back to 4th amongst other things it did  Confused , they built a lighting rig to trace the problem because all the ECU channels read fine  Shocked  hope this helps
Patrese

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wooly
How expensive was it to repair
P
wooly0000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

just over 3k fella  Crying or Very sad  but it drives better now than when i got it, automatic gearbox in Preston Lancs did it for me, it was in nearly 2 weeks all on all
Patrese

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

3k for the ecu prob ? 😭
wooly0000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of howling meself when the bill needed paying  Patrese, but the good news is it realy does drive well now with a complete refurb of the gearbox ect , so in away it was money well spent, the ecu maybe something to look at, it will be interesting to find out what the problem is.
Patrese

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wooly
Sorry did you fix ecu or rebuild gearbox
R
wooly0000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new ECU although you can get a great refurbished one for a lot less than i paid and the gearbox was completly rebuilt as there was quite a bit of damage. My old ECU was faulty and i didnt want to risk buying a 2nd hand one with the potential of it being faulty after spending so much money on a completly rebuilt box so i went the whole hog. I also needed needed new gearbox mounts.........

The mechanic who fitted the ECU said its behind the dash board and very hard to change because of the location.
Patrese

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill need to think
3k lot of moola
Especially just now
R
wooly0000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck Patrese please let us know how you get on
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: