Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  TLOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD

Running lights.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dafydd Wynn Williams
*


Joined: 19 Feb 2020
Posts: 17
Location: 3 miles south of Bangor North Wales

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 22:27    Post subject: Running lights. Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am considering fitting a pair of LED running lights to my 04 LC3, i.e. on at all times the 'ignition' is switched on.  Any suggestions as to a reasonably easy point to make the power connection please?

Dafydd  WW
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Google
Sponsor





PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 22:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!


Back to top
RADIOTWO
******


Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Posts: 754
Location: GLOSSOP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:02    Post subject: Re: Running lights. Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Hi All,

I am considering fitting a pair of LED running lights to my 04 LC3, i.e. on at all times the 'ignition' is switched on.  Any suggestions as to a reasonably easy point to make the power connection please?

Dafydd  WW

Hi Dafydd, its not just a matter of connecting to a Ign feed, as they have to go out(or dimmed) when at night when the headlights are on:
Daytime running lights (DRL) are purpose-made, low-wattage lights that can be fitted to a vehicle and used during the day to improve the visibility of a vehicle to other drivers as well as pedestrians, cyclists and other road users. They do not need to be operated manually as they automatically activate when the engine is started and turn off when the engine stops or when headlights are switched on at night.

DRL are necessarily bright to ensure they are visible in the daytime but not so bright that they will dazzle others. However they are too bright for night time use and are not intended to illuminate the road in the dark. If used at night they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others and so drivers should always switch to their position lamps or headlamps at night.(From the GOV.uk site)

But there is a way to do it by using a 5 pin relay so take a feed from the Ign feed through the relay, and then take a wire from the head light circult, so when you turn the lights on it powers the relay and turns off the DRL's
_________________
2004 Amazon 100 series
Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Dafydd Wynn Williams
*


Joined: 19 Feb 2020
Posts: 17
Location: 3 miles south of Bangor North Wales

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your response,  a bit more complicated than I thought, but makes sense though I hardly ever go out in darkness these days. Just thought it may reduce the chances of a repeat of a very disconcerting accident last 18th  Dec when a dozy (inebriated?) woman drove into the side of my 2000 Isuzu Trooper van as I was on a roundabout and she came up a joining road.  It served me well without problem for 15 years, but the cost of full damage repair made it uneconomical so is unlikely to get through the next MoT.

Having acquired a reasonably sound underneath TLc swb LC3 I should like not to have the task of finding a replacement for this one if it were similarly 'attacked'.

Are 5 pin relays all the same wireing arrangement?  Looking on e bay they seem alike, or is it a special arrangement one I would need?

Dafydd   WW
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
RADIOTWO
******


Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Posts: 754
Location: GLOSSOP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your response,  a bit more complicated than I thought, but makes sense though I hardly ever go out in darkness these days. Just thought it may reduce the chances of a repeat of a very disconcerting accident last 18th  Dec when a dozy (inebriated?) woman drove into the side of my 2000 Isuzu Trooper van as I was on a roundabout and she came up a joining road.  It served me well without problem for 15 years, but the cost of full damage repair made it uneconomical so is unlikely to get through the next MoT.

Having acquired a reasonably sound underneath TLc swb LC3 I should like not to have the task of finding a replacement for this one if it were similarly 'attacked'.

Are 5 pin relays all the same wireing arrangement?  Looking on e bay they seem alike, or is it a special arrangement one I would need?

Dafydd   WW


as I cannot place a picture on here have a look at  https://www.accessconnect.com/car_relays.htm

and the way to wire is:pin30 to a ign feed (ie any thing that comes on with the key)then pin87A goes to the DRLs
then pin 86 goes to the Headlight circuit(so when the headlight comes on it powers it) and pin 85 goes to any earth.

Then the idea is you turn the ign on the power goes to the DRLs and stays on all the time untill you put the headlights on that powers the coil in the relay
and switches off the DRLs so you are ok with the law

Hope that helps
_________________
2004 Amazon 100 series
Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
drew m
**


Joined: 01 Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Location: falkirk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I bought a controller which attaches straight on to battery and one wire cuts into dipped beam wire at head light to dim drl , it's voltage regulated automatically turning drl on when voltage is above 13.5v  and off when under 13.5, works fine for me.
Drew
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Dafydd Wynn Williams
*


Joined: 19 Feb 2020
Posts: 17
Location: 3 miles south of Bangor North Wales

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Steve and Drew,

Thanks for your replies and help.

I have ordered a conventional 5 pin relay, Uk supplier, @ £6, and a voltage triggered controller, China supplier, @ £7. both via e bay, so should be able to rig up a pair of DRLs to satisfy Plod.

It may take a time before I can get round to it,but will report progress when achieved.

Dafydd  WW
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
RADIOTWO
******


Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Posts: 754
Location: GLOSSOP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
HI Steve and Drew,

Thanks for your replies and help.

I have ordered a conventional 5 pin relay, Uk supplier, @ £6, and a voltage triggered controller, China supplier, @ £7. both via e bay, so should be able to rig up a pair of DRLs to satisfy Plod.

It may take a time before I can get round to it,but will report progress when achieved.

Dafydd  WW


If you are going down the Relay route you don't need a voltage controller
_________________
2004 Amazon 100 series
Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Dafydd Wynn Williams
*


Joined: 19 Feb 2020
Posts: 17
Location: 3 miles south of Bangor North Wales

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I appreciate that.  The voltage controlled 'relay' is what I hope Drew was referring to in his DRL circuit, which should require a few less wires than a conventional relay DRL circuit (I think!)

Dafydd  WW
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
drew m
**


Joined: 01 Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Location: falkirk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes voltage controlled very easy to fit, mine didn't come with an in-line fuse which I subsequently fitted to be on the safe side, I never totally trust anything from China some things are ok some are utter rubbish with no quality control.
Drew
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Dafydd Wynn Williams
*


Joined: 19 Feb 2020
Posts: 17
Location: 3 miles south of Bangor North Wales

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve and Drew,

More advice please, Have ordered a voltage triggered relay (yet to arrive) but it is rated at 4 amps, whereas the LED lamp I am considering is rated at 576w, which I think would be 48amps, which seems a lot.  The conventional 5 pin relay I have is rated at 40amps.

4amps would limit a lamp to 48 watts

Is this correct or am I making an error somewhere?

Dafydd   WW
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
RADIOTWO
******


Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Posts: 754
Location: GLOSSOP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Hi Steve and Drew,

More advice please, Have ordered a voltage triggered relay (yet to arrive) but it is rated at 4 amps, whereas the LED lamp I am considering is rated at 576w, which I think would be 48amps, which seems a lot.  The conventional 5 pin relay I have is rated at 40amps.

4amps would limit a lamp to 48 watts

Is this correct or am I making an error somewhere?

Dafydd   WW


Hi again Dafydd
I am confused, why woud the LED lamps be rated at 576w, seems very high and why do you need a voltage triggered relay if you have a standard 5 pin relay, as it
can all be done with one of those.
and your commet "4 amps would limit a lamp to 48Watts" is not the case, if the device you refer to is limited to 4 amps and you drew more that the rated amps it would just burn out.

if you let me have a email address a will draw a diagram and send it its you cannot send things like that on here
_________________
2004 Amazon 100 series
Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Dafydd Wynn Williams
*


Joined: 19 Feb 2020
Posts: 17
Location: 3 miles south of Bangor North Wales

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

My wording on the 4amp voltage triggered relay was unclear, I meant to say that because it was rated at 4amps it would not work (blow or burn out) when the circuit was completed.

I am attracted to the use of the Voltage triggered relay as that will allow the DRL light to remain in circuit at all times rather than having to switch it on , and off at night, whenever the car is used.

My email is pantycyff@hotmail.co.uk.

The  576 watts rating is from the sellers listing description, but I have recently read that the normal rule for watts/amps do not apply to LED lamps and wondered if anyone on here could shed light on this.

Dafydd WW
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
RADIOTWO
******


Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Posts: 754
Location: GLOSSOP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Hi Steve,

My wording on the 4amp voltage triggered relay was unclear, I meant to say that because it was rated at 4amps it would not work (blow or burn out) when the circuit was completed.

I am attracted to the use of the Voltage triggered relay as that will allow the DRL light to remain in circuit at all times rather than having to switch it on , and off at night, whenever the car is used.

My email is pantycyff@hotmail.co.uk.

The  576 watts rating is from the sellers listing description, but I have recently read that the normal rule for watts/amps do not apply to LED lamps and wondered if anyone on here could shed light on this.

Dafydd WW


Email sent
_________________
2004 Amazon 100 series
Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
RADIOTWO
******


Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Posts: 754
Location: GLOSSOP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

RADIOTWO wrote:
Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Hi Steve,

My wording on the 4amp voltage triggered relay was unclear, I meant to say that because it was rated at 4amps it would not work (blow or burn out) when the circuit was completed.

I am attracted to the use of the Voltage triggered relay as that will allow the DRL light to remain in circuit at all times rather than having to switch it on , and off at night, whenever the car is used.

My email is pantycyff@hotmail.co.uk.

The  576 watts rating is from the sellers listing description, but I have recently read that the normal rule for watts/amps do not apply to LED lamps and wondered if anyone on here could shed light on this.

Dafydd WW


Email sent


Hi Dafydd,
Did you get my email as no reply

Steve
_________________
2004 Amazon 100 series
Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Dafydd Wynn Williams
*


Joined: 19 Feb 2020
Posts: 17
Location: 3 miles south of Bangor North Wales

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Yes thamks, got your email. but been busy with silage making in recent days with good weaqther.

An important question which I posed along the way was the true consumption (amps) of  Cree LEDs, which nobody has come back on, so will have to do a bit of experimenting on using a few fuses!

Another question on the same subject (different project) can you get true SPOTLIGHT lamps using Cree LEDs?  I have some very good torches but they all have only one Cree LED and a convex lens adjustable from flood to spot. Cree LEDs seem to be 3watt which limits performance unless multiple LEDS are employed.  All the hundreds of lamps on e bay are described as Flood and Spot ?? They cant be both without adjustment!

Any body any info please?

Dafydd   WW
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All contents © Hobson's Choice IT Solutions Ltd 1997 on
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group