Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Running lights.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Hi Steve,

Yes thamks, got your email. but been busy with silage making in recent days with good weaqther.

An important question which I posed along the way was the true consumption (amps) of  Cree LEDs, which nobody has come back on, so will have to do a bit of experimenting on using a few fuses!

Another question on the same subject (different project) can you get true SPOTLIGHT lamps using Cree LEDs?  I have some very good torches but they all have only one Cree LED and a convex lens adjustable from flood to spot. Cree LEDs seem to be 3watt which limits performance unless multiple LEDS are employed.  All the hundreds of lamps on e bay are described as Flood and Spot ?? They cant be both without adjustment!

Any body any info please?

Dafydd   WW

Hi Again,I have sent a reply to your email poss the reson why I and otheres have not answered the question re the Cree LEDs is you are not sure, but I suspect you have not got them yet but
can you send a link, so can have a look, and you mention about Spotlights with Cree LED's why Cree ? I have found some LED Spots and they have,  It has four, 3 Watt led's which work out as .25
each led so for the whole lamp its 1Amp, so maybe have a look at the ones for the running lamps ? I would think they a very simular if not a lower Amperage
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/white-led-lamp-round-84mm

as I said in the email please give me a ring as its easer to talk ratherthan sent texts!

Steve
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 14:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current usage of LED s remains an unknown.  I have tested a 36watt / 12 LED lamp and it does not blow a 1 amp fuse!!!   You would expect  36watts @ 12 volts to be using 3 amps by standard calculation, so what's the explanation?

I asked for advice previously but no one responded.

Dafydd   WW
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE.

Tried 2 x 36watt lamps (total 24 x 3 watt LEDs) which at 12 v you would expect to draw a total of 6 Amp, and they run on a single 2amp fuse but blow a 1 amp fuse.

Still waiting for some enlightening comment.

Dafydd   WW
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
UPDATE.

Tried 2 x 36watt lamps (total 24 x 3 watt LEDs) which at 12 v you would expect to draw a total of 6 Amp, and they run on a single 2amp fuse but blow a 1 amp fuse.

Still waiting for some enlightening comment.

Dafydd   WW

Have you not got a Multimeter ?

also you are looking at the LED wattatge being equated to standard halagen lamps and its not, its the equevilent light output, if you get a single LED (on avarage)
draws 20mA,The current must be in amps (A) for the calculation, to convert from mA to A divide the current in mA by 1000. so 20mA devided by 1000 = .02A so
for every LED you just multply by the amounts of leds
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your reply, very appreciative that you should shed some light on the subject (pun intended!) which has exercised my brain cell for too long.  I do have a multi-meter and its instruction booklet, but have only ever used it to check circuit continuity and torch type battery state.

Your explanation makes sense, if I am understanding it fully, and has given me the confidence to proceed with my project.

Regards,  Dafydd   WW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: