Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Picking the Forumers Brains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cruiser67

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 18:29    Post subject: Picking the Forumers Brains Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I trust that you are all well especially during this rather difficult time.  I am hoping that there is someone out there that can give me the information that I have been tirelessly researching.

I have a 2007 KDJ120 (Prado) Land Cruiser which is the LC4 model.  Firstly I have upgraded the Stereo/SatNav system with an Android system and its awesome, it came with the Steering Wheel cables/plugs, but obviously my LC4 does not have the Multi-Function Steering Wheel, so here are the questions that I would really like answered please, if anyone can:-

* Can I change my existing steering wheel and replace it with a Multi-Function system?  If so, would I have to change/add anything to the existing Wiring Loom?
* The Hand-Brake system on my car is pants, and I want to convert it so that when I pull up the handbrake it will use the pads, so does anyone know of a Conversion Kit and      if so do you know where I can get it please?
* I want to upgrade my Turbo with a Hybrid model with bigger billet wheel, does anyone know of where I can get one?  If one is available.
* I have Fog Lights that are set into the Front Bumper, but I also want to fit LED Driving Lights, as I have a gap next to the existing Fog Lights are there lights that can be placed in that gap or are there light units, (LED), that fills the whole of the bumper, but the Light units are split so that one side of the light is Fog and the other side is Driving/Spot lights.
* Does anyone know of someone that is breaking an LC4/5 that has a Rear Door with the Spare Wheel carrier fitted to it?

Should anyone require further information then please do not hesitate to contact me, in the meantime I will be looking forward to any forumer that is able to answer any or all of these questions.

Best wishes

Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 18:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

cruiser67

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 18:35    Post subject: Additional Question....................................... Reply with quote

Hi Fellow Forumers

I forgot to put another question and I am hoping that anyone or all of you has come to the same answer as me:-

[*] My car does not have the Active Height Control fitted to it, so I have been looking into fitting one to mine, so the obvious question is, can this be done?

Regards

Mark
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:11    Post subject: Re: Picking the Forumers Brains Reply with quote

cruiser67 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I trust that you are all well especially during this rather difficult time.  I am hoping that there is someone out there that can give me the information that I have been tirelessly researching.

I have a 2007 KDJ120 (Prado) Land Cruiser which is the LC4 model.  Firstly I have upgraded the Stereo/SatNav system with an Android system and its awesome, it came with the Steering Wheel cables/plugs, but obviously my LC4 does not have the Multi-Function Steering Wheel, so here are the questions that I would really like answered please, if anyone can:-

* Can I change my existing steering wheel and replace it with a Multi-Function system?  If so, would I have to change/add anything to the existing Wiring Loom?
* The Hand-Brake system on my car is pants, and I want to convert it so that when I pull up the handbrake it will use the pads, so does anyone know of a Conversion Kit and      if so do you know where I can get it please?
* I want to upgrade my Turbo with a Hybrid model with bigger billet wheel, does anyone know of where I can get one?  If one is available.
* I have Fog Lights that are set into the Front Bumper, but I also want to fit LED Driving Lights, as I have a gap next to the existing Fog Lights are there lights that can be placed in that gap or are there light units, (LED), that fills the whole of the bumper, but the Light units are split so that one side of the light is Fog and the other side is Driving/Spot lights.
* Does anyone know of someone that is breaking an LC4/5 that has a Rear Door with the Spare Wheel carrier fitted to it?

Should anyone require further information then please do not hesitate to contact me, in the meantime I will be looking forward to any forumer that is able to answer any or all of these questions.

Best wishes
seems it would be cheaper to sell your LC4 and get a late 2007 onwards invincible model , it has the steering wheel controls and bluetooth ,rear camera , a/c in the rear , high/low suspension adjustment ,
backdoor with wheel carrier is for lesser cheaper models ,led lighting bars can be got from many places , handbrake system is not pants it is a very good system maybe yours needs adjustment or new shoes , you can make the turbo spool up sooner by deleting the egr valve with electronic plug in devices for about £100 and gives between 18 to 25bhp increase at cruising speeds , making your engine run smoother and better driveability as well as saving your engine in the long term .      
Mark
cruiser67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 16:23    Post subject: Additions Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Tony

I have already spent quite a bit on it, I have blanked off the egr, deleted it from my map and totally re-mapped it, I might even have the fastest Land Cruiser in Cornwall lol.  I have also removed the cat, but I just wanted to add the suspension to it amongst other things and it will be worth a little more, plus I do like doing things like this.  Obviously I can get a second hand suspension system and install it, as I am sure that the necessary bolt holes etc will be there to put ancillaries on, plus I am sure that the wiring loom between the LC4 & LC5 for the same year are the same, unless I am barking up the wrong tree.

As for the hand brake system, well I have replaced the shoes and I have also replaced all springs and retaining pins etc, (which I am sure is a hell of a job to do), and I have also adjusted it, but not long after it seems to get a little loose, it will hold the car, but to be honest with you I dont have much faith in it, and, research that I have done has shown me that there are a lot of LC owners out there that has converted them to a complete Pad system

Regards
Mark
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 17:34    Post subject: Re: Additions Reply with quote

cruiser67 wrote:
Thank you for your reply Tony

I have already spent quite a bit on it, I have blanked off the egr, deleted it from my map and totally re-mapped it, I might even have the fastest Land Cruiser in Cornwall lol.  I have also removed the cat, but I just wanted to add the suspension to it amongst other things and it will be worth a little more, plus I do like doing things like this.  Obviously I can get a second hand suspension system and install it, as I am sure that the necessary bolt holes etc will be there to put ancillaries on, plus I am sure that the wiring loom between the LC4 & LC5 for the same year are the same, unless I am barking up the wrong tree.

As for the hand brake system, well I have replaced the shoes and I have also replaced all springs and retaining pins etc, (which I am sure is a hell of a job to do), and I have also adjusted it, but not long after it seems to get a little loose, it will hold the car, but to be honest with you I dont have much faith in it, and, research that I have done has shown me that there are a lot of LC owners out there that has converted them to a complete Pad system

Regards
Mark

If you have changed the shoes adjustment is not only at the drum itself its also halfway under the car with cable adjustment that is done at a certain piont , if you look on youtube it will have how to do it on there , mostly the USA versions which are the Lexus GX470 a V8 version of our 120s as well other toyota fulltime 4x4 trucks/SUV which use the same driveline as the 120s , my handbrake system works great as did a Lexus LS400 which I had many moons ago that had the same system , I have a late 2009 120 invincible which has the airbag springs that adjust the cars Hight , but to be honest with you its not exactly special , it can raise 30mm from standard or lower 30mm from standard , if you raise it 30mm you can only go about 20mph before it automatically drops back down to standard setting , its use is for crossing rivers or rocks but you only gain 30mm , I have fitted BF/G ko2 265/70/17 tyres that raise the car 13mm , its not just the air bags that are needed its sensors ,compressor ,. links and airlines , and when any thing goes wrong its expensive and when old they do go wrong  , the TEMs shocks that go with the air suspension system are also very expensive, the only thing use I get out of the air suspension that I like is is it automatically raises the car to its standard height when you put a heavy load in the back or use the eight seats .     I have bought a pedders conversion replacement coil spring and shocks kit for when my air suspension or shocks are done , because the price for parts to replace the air suspension and shocks are ridicules , so while it still works its fine when any of  it goes wrong I will convert it over to coils and standard shocks unless something small and its a cheap fix to put right , One thing I have done that is as important as any of the mods that I have done is treat and kill any rust that was under the car because my 120 spent eight and a half years in the UK before I came to live here in Cyprus , and as you know the UK weather is not kind to cars underbody's and chassis .
Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be in too much of hurry to change the parking brake to operate on the pads, systems that utilise the pads on new vehicles are so because they are cheap to build a the factory, and the trouble they will be when the vehicle is out of makers warranty is not their concern.

The drum inside disc design as fitted to our vehicles is expensive to make and the better quality cars all had that system before collectively going mad and answering a question no one asked they came up with the electric parking brake of doom, drum parking brakes are efficient considering how small the shoes are and trouble free for years given a little maintenance now and again, it also means you can have efficient easy to maintain simple calipers operating the rear brake pads.

As Tony, the parking brake on my LC5 is superb (as is the same design on the family Forester and my old W124 Merc), not as i'd be trying to stop the vehicle with it, the only time i pull it on when moving is once in a while during the winter to clean any rust that's starting to build up on the drums, there's something not right if yours won't hold the vehicle on the steepest of hills, maybe new disc/drums needed if you didn't change those when you fitted new shoes?

Self adjusting rear calipers doubling up as the parking brake are not the most long lived in the world, and given the adjusting method its not possible to 'exercise' the pistons in their bores as sensible owners of our vehicles do when serviocing the brakes, hence the pistons inevitably start to seize, and our LC's hardly require any additional hobbling in that department.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juddian wrote:
I wouldn't be in too much of hurry to change the parking brake to operate on the pads, systems that utilise the pads on new vehicles are so because they are cheap to build a the factory, and the trouble they will be when the vehicle is out of makers warranty is not their concern.

The drum inside disc design as fitted to our vehicles is expensive to make and the better quality cars all had that system before collectively going mad and answering a question no one asked they came up with the electric parking brake of doom, drum parking brakes are efficient considering how small the shoes are and trouble free for years given a little maintenance now and again, it also means you can have efficient easy to maintain simple calipers operating the rear brake pads.

As Tony, the parking brake on my LC5 is superb (as is the same design on the family Forester and my old W124 Merc), not as i'd be trying to stop the vehicle with it, the only time i pull it on when moving is once in a while during the winter to clean any rust that's starting to build up on the drums, there's something not right if yours won't hold the vehicle on the steepest of hills, maybe new disc/drums needed if you didn't change those when you fitted new shoes?

Self adjusting rear calipers doubling up as the parking brake are not the most long lived in the world, and given the adjusting method its not possible to 'exercise' the pistons in their bores as sensible owners of our vehicles do when serviocing the brakes, hence the pistons inevitably start to seize, and our LC's hardly require any additional hobbling in that department.

I totally agree with what you have said Juddian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: