4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

SWB Towbar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 15:24    Post subject: SWB Towbar Reply with quote

Does anyone produce a substantial 4 bolt plate tow bar to fil a 2004 short wheelbase LC3. I bought the car a few months back but the swan-neck tow ball is about 4"  too low for my 2 Ifor Williams  twin axle trailers. I fitted a Dixon -Bate adjustable height adaptor to my old ISUZU trooper which was ideal.  this has a4 bolt fixing to the tow bar plate.

I have searched on-line, and on here, for a suitable tow bar without result.

I need to tow 2.5 to 3 tonnes from time to time so need something substantial.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Dafydd   WW
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 15:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 18:05    Post subject: Re: SWB Towbar Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Does anyone produce a substantial 4 bolt plate tow bar to fil a 2004 short wheelbase LC3. I bought the car a few months back but the swan-neck tow ball is about 4"  too low for my 2 Ifor Williams  twin axle trailers. I fitted a Dixon -Bate adjustable height adaptor to my old ISUZU trooper which was ideal.  this has a4 bolt fixing to the tow bar plate.

I have searched on-line, and on here, for a suitable tow bar without result.

I need to tow 2.5 to 3 tonnes from time to time so need something substantial.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Dafydd   WW

Hi Dafydd
Not too sure exactly what you want, but is this the sort of thing you mean?
https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/nakatanenga-swan-neck-tow-ball/

I don't like Swann neck balls, but what I did on my bracfket I bought a multi hight bracket like this:
https://www.towsure.com/adjustable-height-tow-coupling
and on the detathable part I put a Ball amd conbined pin hitch, as I used to have a "eye" on my trailer so came in handy

If these are not what you was after take a picture so we can see what you want
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response, but what I need is to get rid of the swan-neck  and replace it with a plate-terminated tow bar, so that I can bolt the Dixon-Bate adjustable height fitting to it and so gain height of the tow ball.

Picture posting on here seems a complicated process from all accounts, and I dont know where to find instructions.

Dafydd   WW
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response, but what I need is to get rid of the swan-neck  and replace it with a plate-terminated tow bar, so that I can bolt the Dixon-Bate adjustable height fitting to it and so gain height of the tow ball.

Picture posting on here seems a complicated process from all accounts, and I dont know where to find instructions.

Dafydd   WW

You have my email address send it there !
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

How awkward/fiddly/difficult is it to detach the rear bumper moulding from a 2003/4/5 TLc in order to get access to the 4 horizontal bolts which attach a Brink flange pattern tow bar to the chassis cross member which is immediately inside the bumper moulding?

Whilst there is just enough space between the cross member and bumper moulding to get an open-ended spanner in, there is not enough space to extract the bolts fully.  The bumper has 2 pairs of lights and the reversing warning sensors fitted within it, which I assume the connections for which could be unclipped.

If bumper detachment is not a practical proposition I fear that I will have to hole-saw four 38mm 'holes' through the bumper to get at the bolts with a 19mm socket, which is not the favoured option!

Dafydd WW
TR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that most towbar suppliers websites will include fitting instructions which can be viewed prior to purchase.
They include bumper removal which based on experience is not difficult if care is taken. Some of the plastic fixings may break but are easily replaced.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TR for your response, but Brink don't seem to list anything on their website for SWB Prado just now.  Though I have seen at least 6 early and modern SWBs fitted with the Brink type vertical plate tow bars, so this is a bit puzzling.

Heartened by your view that removal of the bumper moulding is not difficult, though I find doing anything close to the ground a struggle these days!

Dafydd  WW
TR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://issuu.com/towsure/docs/ty4212a?e=15611885%2F66041828

Is this any use
TR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7BC352CA07-5C3B-9802-9935-23503AEF5C3B%7D/Towing%20hitch%20flanged%20AIM%20000%20985-0%20PZ488-J0550-00.pdf

This may also be useful
Website toyota-tech.eu is free to use for info on accessory fitting
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks TR, the latter site is very helpful. Very useful to have the link to the Toyota site. Pictorial instructions very clear, shame there is no written explanation to accompany pics to confirm what is portrayed.

Bumper removal seems a little more involved than I had hoped.

Dafydd  WW
TR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bits you break can identified here
http://auto-kat.com/index.php?route=saleepc/toyota/parts&region=EUR&modification=3658&group=5253
sheepish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought my last 3 tow bars from PF Jones. They have a couple that fit the SWB.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/toyota-towbars/toyota-landcruiser-towbars/toyota-landcruiser-2002-2009-towbars.html

Bumper is pretty easy to remove. As others have said just a couple of plastic clips you might damage. Mine has a couple of cable ties in lace of clips, but it's a bit of a farm truck. I've actually had both the bars shown as suitable for a SWB 120 (on my LWB). And both pulled more than the car is legally allowed to without a problem (on private roads, obviously!). Ifor Williams tipper, flat-bed and livestock trailers.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sheepish,

Thanks for your reply,  I've obtained a well secondhand flange bracket from a 'sharp' scrap yard in Northern Ireland, ( just the flange bracket, the chassis bracings are already in place as part of the swan-neck tow bar) but have not had the bottle to drill 4 28mm holes in the plastic bumper to get at the bots to remove the swan neck bracket and fit the replacement. The alternative is to remove the plastic bumper, which I am also hesitant to undertake as I don't have access to a lift and am unable to work underneath because of mobility problems.

You say it is straightforward to remove the bumper, but with my hampered access I fear running into problems with the job half done. I might persuade my local village garage to undertake the job.

All tasks become more daunting as you get older!

Dafydd
sheepish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best reason for taking off the bumper yourself is you can assess and decide to remedy corrosion in the rear cross member. My experience is that it's likey a lot less than those on the other side of the rear axle but when you think of the weight you want to know it's nice to know what you're dealing with. Mine hasn't needed any welding (unlike lots of the rest of the car) but I was happy to have the opportunity to jet wash the inside and get a load of rust inhibiting wax in there, and clean and paint the outser surface.

Once you've done it once you'll have it on and off in 15 minutes. I can't be bothered crawling under cars much these days but I'd still do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: