2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2lte harmonic vibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slaupster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:18    Post subject: 2lte harmonic vibration Reply with quote

hi all,

I'm in Morocco at the moment in my Prado EX import LJ78 with the 2l-te.  I had a whole bunch of work done before I came out and one of the things that the mechanic said while pulling out the head was that the cranshaft pulley was a real *beep* to get off.  Well, while driving up the Atlas, there was a strange knocking from the the crankshaft pulley.  TUrns out it was actually rocking so we tried to take it off and sheared the bolt that holds it on.  I thought the rocking was because the bolt was on its way out but now the bolt is out the pulley doesn't fit nicely over the clue and it also has some play in it.  I read on other threads that there is a harmonic vibration damper kicking around somewhere down there but mine might be completely gone cos I can't find it!

Am about to put the pulley back on with a new bolt, but am worried that I should drive carefully to the nearest Toyota/get Milner to send me a new pulley asap.  Is it ok to drive in this condition and should I really be that worried ?  Also one thing that was different when all the work was done was a vibration at 3000 rpm that started at around 2950 and stopped at around 3100.  Not a shake the engine apart vibration but not enough to feel comfy.  I asked the mechanic before I came out here and he said it could be anything particularly the clutch, but I think he only said this because I had done the clutch myself.

Any info greatly appreciated!

cheers

Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

denkar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
The harmonic balancer is part of the pulley, it is the piece of hard 'rubber' that separates the steel..  Oo  in between the 2 'o's, if that makes sense Very Happy
I would not drive it until I replaced the faulty pulley. You should be able to get one locally.
Good luck.
Dennis
denkar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention....
sounds to me like the mechanic damaged it trying to get it off and it should have been replaced then and there.
Take the old one back to him when you get home and have a few choice words about his professionalism.

Try this place..

TOYOTA DU MAROC Route Cotiere 111, km11, 5 Quartier Industriel - Sidi Bernoussi, Casablanca MOROCCO 212-22-674929 212-22-666444

just googled it.
Dennis
slaupster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis

thanks for that reply.  yes that makes sense and I see it now.  It's in reasonable order so I don't think that was the problem.

We've just about extracted all the old bolt now (they don't have that tool that I've seen used in the UK).  The mechanic reckons that the pulley we have needs repairing because when its presented up to the crankshaft without a bolt there is a bit of play.  They went to Marrakech yesterday and went to a Toyota there but they don't stock the pulleys  Rolling Eyes

So they reckon the local iron monger can fill in the worn out part of the pulley and inch Allah its all going to work bien.  Needless to say I am concerned!  Any experience as to whether that is particularly a problem or not ?

But short of hiring a car and going to Casablanca (a days drive) or getting Milner to send me a new one I'm in their hands.  Plus I've got to get out of here !  It feels like my girlfriend and I are captive in the mechnics family home which is no where near the center of town, not that that would make any difference in Ouarzazate!  I am on my way to Senegal where I will meet a friend so if I can't get a new pulley on the way I reckon I may as well get one sent from Milner to my friend in Senegal and replace it there assuming I make it that far!

thanks for any more tips!
denkar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not had any experience with that problem, sorry.
Assume that the pulley must have been loose on the crankshaft for it to become 'flogged' out. Hope they have access to a good lathe and micrometer Very Happy .
Still think your best bet is to try and get a new one as soon as you are able to.
Good luck.
Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: