NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Hard Cold Start Troubleshooting help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 18:50    Post subject: Hard Cold Start Troubleshooting help Reply with quote

I replaced the primer with a new genuine one, and a new fuel filter when I was at it. The old primer was clearly leaking fuel externally when pumping it, I thought it might have been letting in air. However, I still have the same issue.

It needs to turn over for about 30secs after sitting for a bit and there's a bit of smoke whilst cranking. Does the smoke suggest a lack of fuel issue upon starting?

It's hardly the glow plugs, they'd hardly be required unless freezing?
The leak off pipes are steel, so it's obviously not perished hoses letting in air. Injector area seems dry.

How do I check if it's leaking back from the fuel filter, if it is doing this does it empty the filter completely? I'm thinking, if I just take a hose off and some fuel comes out how do I know if the filter has allowed a bit to drain back or not. What's the easiest way to check fuel is draining back to the tank?

What else can I check that would cause a longer cold / cool start with no other running issues.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 18:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still harder to start after pumping the primer by hand!
Does this fact rule out a draining back to tank issue?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple check, park it nose down on slope overnight, or even ramps if ground is flat, that should give you an indication on starting, if fuel is running back in tank issue. Then start looking elsewhere.
If it's in regular use, I wouldn't have thought glow plugs just yet, although it doesn't have to be freezing.
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was mistaken, had only fitted the new primer, hadn't a lot of time to test it by hand properly.

So, it does start normally after I prime it by hand with the new primer, the old one wasn't making any difference probably as it was leaking at the cap.

I'm also not using the original tank; I'm using a temporary tank that just has a supply / return and a vent outlet. I just put this at under the middle where the metal pipe turns into rubber, and I ran a full rubber hose in place of the other original full length metal pipe.
So I can rule out the original tank and it's metal pipework.

So if it's still draining back to the temp tank can the only place my issue can be is in the hoses between the tank and filter / pump or could the pump itself or some other component cause it to drain back?
Andyk80

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running new rubber right from the temp tank to the new primer/new filter housing?  If so, I'd certainly replace the rubber hose from the filter out to the pump, and then the hoses from the pump to the leak off rail and return to the tank.

Also, stick decent quality hose clamps on everything, jubilee's are awful for deforming and not sealing properly at small sizes.

If you've ruled all that out, might be time to get the injectors reconned potentially.  Before that kind of cost though, mix a can of BG244/BG245 into the temp tank contents and run the engine through on that for a while.
Andyk80

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd share this with you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzws_H9z5Zg

I'm having the same problems as you basically, but I've now swapped out the tank pickup pipes and have just swapped the filter/heater housing as well.

I've found a bit of damp around the leak off pipe on the front two injectors, so I suspect that may be if not the cause, certainly a contributing factor.  Roughtrax have the new leak off rail and washer kits if you find the same on your truck.

The video I've linked is aimed at servicing the pump, not so much leaks, but the pump itself has a lot of seals that can degrade over time.  If you've changed all your rubber hoses, fitted new clamps, changed the filter housing and bypassed the main tank, I'd check the injectors.  If they're all dry, it might be worth investigating the pump sensor seals.  I've ordered a rebuild kit on fleabay that comes with instructions.  Along with that video, it should provide some good guidance for changing pump seals, and those filters in the video are worth a clean from what I've read if you're going to the trouble of this much fuel system work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: