Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

90 series Porous diff/rear axle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bone1748

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:07    Post subject: 90 series Porous diff/rear axle Reply with quote

This seems to be a weakness on the rear axle and I have read various suggestions as to the cure . Short of buying a new casing , I have tried to find a solution . By pure accident I was advised to try " Teamac Tractor Enamel " paint and this has totally sealed the diff housing and cured the oil seepage . I did this almost 12 months ago and there is no sign of oil whatever . My Land Cruiser is used daily on our estate in the Scottish Highlands and as you would imagine , is put through it's paces . This is not a Chelsea tractor . The paint costs around £30 for a litre tin . A lot cheaper than a new axle housing and a lot less work . The job takes about half an hour to do . Considering this is an old vehicle with 250,000 on the clock and still running as sweet as a nut , it has certainly worked for me and hopefully be of help to others with the same problem .
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 16:09    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi.

Where was the oil coming from?  How rusty was the axle? how good are the upper radius arm mountings?

I have replaced my axle casing this year because of rusted out mountings.

Regards

Paul
bone1748

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main porous area was around the "bulb" housing  of the diff above the drain plug all the way round . The radius arm pillars I did a couple of years ago . My solution to this was to weld a plate front and rear of the pillar , long enough to be able to weld to the front and rear of the axle instead of on top. This has worked a treat . You can make the plates as strong as you want. The originals are a very a bad design . The rest of the axle is in reasonable condition . To be safe I have painted the whole axle . This Tractor paint really is the best metal paint I have come across and provides a really good finish , very tough , high gloss but resistant to almost everything . It even comes in various colours .... Massey Ferguson grey , John Deere green , International red etc . and is value for money and easily available . On my 1997 vehicle it will have many uses .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth remembering that stuff, thanks.
Degreasing and proper prep of rear axle takes much, much longer than half an hour, without the paint, or were you just referring to the painting ? Did you do any rust treatment first, or paint straight on the axle ?
bone1748

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proper degrease and clean is recommended . You are right .  I gave the axle 2 coats of Red Oxide before painting . With the machine on the ramp this is a simple solution . I am simply reluctant to go down the road of a new rear axle for a vehicle of this age . As I said it has been a year now and all is well . Time will tell as they say .
locodriver65

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 16:38    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi,
I am pleased I did change my axle casing. I have loved my LC and would have trouble finding a better one.

Where did you purchase the good paint from.

I painted my new casing with hammerite smooth before fitting.

Regards

Paul
ALPrado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good repair and saves buying a new axle casing
bone1748

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint was bought from a local industrial agricultural supplier in Inverness but if you Google "Teamac Paints " you will find their full range available .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of suppliers if you Google including manufacturer, Also loads on e bay. Plenty of choice.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 16:36    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this Tea paint is any better than the old favourite Hammerite.
Never having used the Tea stuff, I looked for any differences, but all I found was it's supposed to be flexible, which being an enamel, is contradictory I thought ?
bone1748

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamerite was the first port of call . It did not stop the seepage of oil from the diff. As I have said , this stuff has been on the unit for more than a year without any sign of oil. Both products are priced in the same bracket . This paint does the trick for me .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you again.
As you didn't mention you had used Hammerite first with no success, that's what prompted me to do a comparison between the two, as most of us have Hammerite in the garage anyway.
I didn't take price into consideration in the comparison, because if Hammerite works and in the garage, no point in buying anything else,
but as your Teamac paint has done the job successfully now, even if it was at £50 ltr as opposed to £30, it appears money well spent on curing the problem so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: