Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Exterior mirror glass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:28    Post subject: Exterior mirror glass Reply with quote

Just managed to clip a post with nearside door mirror which now has a smashed mirror. I have ordered a replacement mirror glass from reputable outfit - but since told that this cannot be done on a 120? Can't imagine this to be correct - but the Haynes manual specifically states in the section for mirror glass removal "only applicable to 95 models!"

Is this correct? Shocked
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ibex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:38    Post subject: Broken mirror Reply with quote

Just managed to get the broken mirror out. Probably because it was broken! Certainly a snug fit and an adhesive pad to help hold it in - but it came out OK. Just waiting for receipt of new part now. Question
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases with aftermarket mirror glass like halfords used to sell for £5 , they are very thin have a full adhesive  back so that you just stick the new glass over the cracked one after making sure you have a flat (non protruding broken bits sticking outwards )clean service to stick it on to , unless the one you got is as thick as the original so that you have to remove the broken one .
Ibex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 15:36    Post subject: Mirror replacement Reply with quote

I managed to get the old mirror out quite nicely following a useful video on You tube (where would I be without You tube?) Then I found lots of people on e bay selling replacement convex, heated units, correct model and year of car, so bought one. After two days of trying to fit it I decided to give up. The injection moulding of the mirror backplate is incorrect, just enough to prevent it clicking into place as it should.  As this one had been mid range on price, I decided to buy another, but top of the range, hoping that this might be better. It arrived this morning and is idential to the last one!

I actually modified the first one quite a bit with a hot scriber to try and get it to fit, so no chance of sending it back. Instead I very carefully cut the mirror glass out of it - which was surprisingly easy, and fitted it to my original mirror backing plate with a little glue - having first removed the original shattered mirror of course. The result is perfect.

So the second mirror I sent for will be returned for a refund. I have no idea whether Toyota sell an OEM replacement glass (at whatever cost???) but I have little confidence in the aftermarket ones out there now.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said sticking the mirror on is a much easier and quicker job and with a strong glue its a permanant repair that is done in minutes .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some adhesives react with the silvering (the coating on the back that does the reflecting).
Hope it all works out, and thanks for your experience with replacements. 😀
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: