Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Headlight adjustment rusted arm

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven.miles3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 13:16    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

steven.miles3 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
I have a theory about my suspension woes.  

1) December 2021 - no suspension problem

2) December 2021 - goes in for MOT
GARAGE FAILS IT ON BEING UNABLE TO TEST HEADLIGHT PATTERN.  I went into workshop to chat with the MOT technician.  He showed me that the front suspension was high and that the cause was a broken height sensor d/s front under wheel arch.
I was pretty certain that the suspension was not high at the front before the MOT, but I questioned my sanity as you do and of course trusted the professionalism of the technician.

I chatted with another mechanic in the work shop before I left the garage, he said something interesting.  He said, Landcruisers with AHC don’t like being up on ramps with their wheels dangling.  Intimating that possibly the height adjuster/sensor (even though rusty) could have been damaged this way.

3) December 2021 - I purchased the height adjustment sensor and fitted it to the Landcruiser.
This made no difference to the suspension height.

I took the Landcruiser in for the retest and the technician said that he would do his best.

4) December 2021 - the technician passed the Landcruiser
I was delighted of course but my year of driving with awful suspension commenced.  Tried manual resetting to Jo avail.  Took to a recommended garage with a good feedback and history of AHC conversions to springs.  They found nothing obvious and said that it could cost almost anything following the fault finding method, and if course recommended a conversation as a viable option.

5) December 2022 - MOT pass
I went into see the same technician before ai left the Landcruiser for the MOT.  I told him that I was still unable to get the suspension to go down.

The MOT was a pass.  I went to collect the Landcruiser.  I was about to drive off, when the technician came over to me.  He said, you can fix this you know.  He showed me the anti torsion adjusting bolts under the vehicle.  He said, you just need to make small adjustments until the suspension settles back to a level medium height.

6) December 2022 - I made these adjustments as recommended.  First, 4 anti clockwise both sides.  The suspension at the front went from too high, to too low.  Had the look of a drag racer.  Secondly, I turned both sides clockwise 2 turns.  The suspension raises slightly.  Finally, I turned both sides on turn each.  This surprisingly has almost returned the suspension back to its original almost level but certainly almost medium position.

So now back to my theory.  Could it be possible, that the technician tried to do a good thing after accidentally doing a bad thing, but inadvertently ended up doing a very bad thing….

Perhaps he felt guilty seeing me struggle for 12 months with awful suspension, hence giving me what was indeed to answer to adjusting my suspension back to its original medium setting, by returning the anti torsion bar to its original position?  

It’s just a theory, but it makes some sense to me.  Would be interested in your thoughts…

I am not interested in taking this any further with the garage, I am just so relieved to have my suspension almost back to its original medium setting.  Whether this lasts will remain to be seen.  But I will keep you posted….

Had anyone else has similar or is this a unique experience?

1) Have you bothered to look at ih8mud like I suggested ?

2) It makes not an ounce of difference if the wheels are dangling, think about if it was on axle stands under the chassis !

3) Put the torsion adjustments back to where they were, before you were given bad advice !

4) When you fitted the ‘hight sensor’ did you adjust it ?

5) Get a copy of’Techstream’ with mini VCI cable from e bay, you can’t do hardly any work/adjustments without it.

6) stop listing to mechanics that know didly squat about how the AHC works, not even many Toyota tech’s know how it works, relatively speaking there are not many AHC equipped LC’s in the UK, whereas there are thousands in the US. So look on ih8mud.

7) your experience is not unique !

8) As I have already said, AHC is not difficult to understand if you understand how the mechanical and hydraulic suspension interact together

As I have already said there are many, many excellent posts on the AHC system on ih8mud, Here is a member of ih8mud that I recommend,.....PADDO..... Although there many other fantastic contributors on many other Land Cruiser web site forums.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 13:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

steven.miles3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

ih8mud.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: