Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Not all oil filters are the same!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norfolk & Clue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:31    Post subject: Not all oil filters are the same! Reply with quote

I read somewhere (it may have been on this forum) people discussing how long it takes for their oil light to go off.
Following a recent oil and filter change I noticed it took about 1.5 seconds for the oil light to go off if I re-start after a short period, ie petrol station. And about 4.5 seconds in the morning or if the car is left for any period of time (say 12 hours)
The filter I was using is German, I’m not going to mention the brand because my tests and observations are very un-scientific and I only have a sample of one which isn’t ideal.

However I have also read that most non return valves in oil filters are made from plastic which I can only assume is not the best product for a non-return valve. I also read that MANN filters have a silicone non return valve which sounds like a more suitable material.

I changed my filter to a MANN filter and irrespective of whether I leave the engine for a few minutes or a week, the oil light now goes off after 1.5 seconds.

Putting this into perspective if you start your Land Cruiser twice a day 365 days a year and the oil light stays on for 3 seconds more than it needs to, we get the following:

(4.5-1.5)=3 seconds
3 seconds x 365 days x 2 (starting twice a day) = 2190 seconds
2190/ 60 = 36 minutes!  

If this has not be covered before in such detail perhaps a moderator can put in on all sections of the site- obviously it applies to all of us.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should name and shame, and let us know what filter you were using.  You've said its an unscientific test of only one, so we can take that into account.....
MikeJak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point about the non return valve, the other thing that changes vastly between filters is flow.
Some have much smaller holes then others and I think that makes a big difference in how restrictive of flow (or not) the filter is. Totally not scientific but I’d always go for higher flow if possible
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: