All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

I only went and did it !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALPrado

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 14:15    Post subject: I only went and did it !!! Reply with quote

You may recall some time ago I purchased a used tow bar for my Prado , Well it kept looking at me saying come on then fit me  Smile

I looked at the weather forecast and it looked like 2 decent dry days ahead so I took the plunge and started

Backed the Prado onto my car ramps , Without running over the back of them  Smile

Then underneath to remove the the fuel tank guard
C389CD10-686A-47D2-9CE9-28D20193A69A by [/url], on Flickr

Next I needed to clean the threads in the chassis rails for the mounting bolts so out the the stick wire brush in my drill
557AA191-B4D5-427D-ABE8-440AF31FBEDC by , on Flickr

Then the OH MY GOD how the hell am I goint to lift into place a 60 + Lbs tow bar and hold it in place while putting the bolts in ????

Next the  Idea moment and out with the railway carriage jacks , Lift one side onto the jack and cable tye in place then the same with the other side

A3A350B2-4CBD-4BD2-9EBE-E7589D0096D2 by , on Flickr

Both side now secured it's time to slide the stands a bit at a time under the car , 10 turns on each side and gradually up it went without falling off

25DB5FA5-8787-45ED-B60B-1C14778F02B3 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150639903@N08/], on Flickr

Greesed the new bolts started them in the threads then run them up with my inpact gun

Now fitted , I'm so pleased I found these jacks at sutch a cheap price , The have come in very useful .

Need to do the tow bar wiring next when I can be ar-ed  Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 14:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ! 👍
Great update,was beginning to think that was rusting in the yard, waiting for treatment and paint ? 😀

When I read your opener referring to how to get the towbar up, you jacks came immediately to mind, a perfect solution !
They were indeed a good buy, and have been very useful with the ratchet feature, many times. 👌

When you come to do the electrics Al, please, please, don't use scotchloks or similar, especially exterior, you will pay for it in the long run.

There have been so many people that have had electrical problems in general, due to someone else's lash up, or taking the wrong approach. Either get the correct wiring extra loom, if one available at a decent price (plug and play), or splice in correctly INside the lc.

Towbar wiring is universally colour coded, and once you have identified the lc correct wires (multimeter) you can go from there for lights, indicators, rear fogs, and brake lights.
This is assuming you only want 12n electrics, i.e. as listed above.

If you want to incorporate your rear fog lights for trailer no problem, just get the 12n plug/socket that shuts of the car fog lights when plugged in, so you dont get reflected glare in your mirrors from front of  trailer.

Sorry, if you already know this info.
John.
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant to see those jacks being used - making us all jealous!  What a fantastic bit of kit they are!

Excellent advice from TM as always!  The number of electrical problems that we've seen, eventually traced back to towbar wiring!!!!
ALPrado

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 odd years ago when I had a trade garage I fitted tow bars as part of my living , Allways soldered all connections and shrink wrapped .

I use and still have a power probe for finding out what wire goes were .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍 Spot on mate, well done.
As said, sorry if you knew this - you obviously do. You have the WOW factor ! 😀
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: