All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Courtesy lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Islandcruiser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 23:34    Post subject: Courtesy lights Reply with quote

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot an issue I'm having.

The courtesy lights (in the doors, the rear dome light, and the boot light) all come on when I open the tailgate if switched to "door". The dome light and boot light also switch on when I manually turn them on. However, opening any of the driver or passenger doors does not turn on the lights (either in the doors or in the ceiling), even when switched to "door".

Can anyone advise if there is something obvious I can check? I have checked fuses, but they seem fine and in any case the lights are fine when the tailgate is open. I'm new to landcruisers, and I'm stuck, so I'll gratefully investigate any pointers you can offer.

Thank you.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 23:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Islandcruiser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 0:00    Post subject: Courtesy lights Reply with quote

Oops.  I've got a 1999 LC Amazon, 4.2l.
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 14:42    Post subject: Re: Courtesy lights Reply with quote

Islandcruiser wrote:
Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot an issue I'm having.

The courtesy lights (in the doors, the rear dome light, and the boot light) all come on when I open the tailgate if switched to "door". The dome light and boot light also switch on when I manually turn them on. However, opening any of the driver or passenger doors does not turn on the lights (either in the doors or in the ceiling), even when switched to "door".

Can anyone advise if there is something obvious I can check? I have checked fuses, but they seem fine and in any case the lights are fine when the tailgate is open. I'm new to landcruisers, and I'm stuck, so I'll gratefully investigate any pointers you can offer.

Thank you.

You have puzzled me "even when switched to "door"" unless the older models have a separate switch, all you have on the later versions is the centre dome light comes on
when you open any of the four passenger doors, the boot lights comes on when you open the boot, then the lights at the front are switched on with separate switches,
you also can switch on two lights in the centre again with switches.

as you have said you have checked the fuses but won't be a fuse if you can manually switch them on,
but have they ever worked ? and if so did they have a timer(so they stayed on for a time then went off) so if that is the case it might be this the problem.

The other thing to check is the door switches
Islandcruiser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:39    Post subject: Courtesy lights Reply with quote

Hi Steve, thanks for this response. I probably could/should have been clearer, so I'll have another shot in case it helps your understanding or diagnosis...

Our LC has three sets of lights in the ceiling, which I'll call:
1. Front dome: this is two separate lights in in the front, which each just have an on/off switch.
2. Middle dome: this is three lights above the passenger seats in the middle row. The centre light has an on/door/off switch, while on each side there is a light, each with just an on/off.
3. Boot light: this is in the boot and is a single light with an on/off/door switch.

In addition, there are courtesy lights at the bottom of the front and rear doors.

I'm terms of behaviour:

If I open a door (front or rear), none of the lights come on. But when I open the top half of the tailgate, the centre light in the middle dome, the boot light, and the courtesy lights in the two rear doors all come on.

The front dome lights come on if I switch them on. And the courtesy lights in the front two doors have never come on. I've checked all the bulbs.

I did wonder about door switches, but assumed they'd all have to be broken to cause this behaviour (which I guess isn't impossible at this age). Are the switches located in the door catch?

Is there any other obvious fault finding out diagnosis anyone can suggest?

There is some kind of a timer - the lights go off after a certain time, and if I come back to it after a while, then sometimes (couldn't say under exactly what conditions/times) the lights won't come on until I turn the key in the ignition to switch the electrics on. The vehicle is new to me, so I've not seen any other behaviour prior to what I see how.

Thanks again for the thoughts so far.

Best, Jon
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 14:09    Post subject: Re: Courtesy lights Reply with quote

Islandcruiser wrote:
Hi Steve, thanks for this response. I probably could/should have been clearer, so I'll have another shot in case it helps your understanding or diagnosis...

Our LC has three sets of lights in the ceiling, which I'll call:
1. Front dome: this is two separate lights in in the front, which each just have an on/off switch.
2. Middle dome: this is three lights above the passenger seats in the middle row. The centre light has an on/door/off switch, while on each side there is a light, each with just an on/off.
3. Boot light: this is in the boot and is a single light with an on/off/door switch.

In addition, there are courtesy lights at the bottom of the front and rear doors.

I'm terms of behaviour:

If I open a door (front or rear), none of the lights come on. But when I open the top half of the tailgate, the centre light in the middle dome, the boot light, and the courtesy lights in the two rear doors all come on.

The front dome lights come on if I switch them on. And the courtesy lights in the front two doors have never come on. I've checked all the bulbs.

I did wonder about door switches, but assumed they'd all have to be broken to cause this behaviour (which I guess isn't impossible at this age). Are the switches located in the door catch?

Is there any other obvious fault finding out diagnosis anyone can suggest?

There is some kind of a timer - the lights go off after a certain time, and if I come back to it after a while, then sometimes (couldn't say under exactly what conditions/times) the lights won't come on until I turn the key in the ignition to switch the electrics on. The vehicle is new to me, so I've not seen any other behaviour prior to what I see how.

Thanks again for the thoughts so far.

Best, Jon

Hi Jon

I would say mine are as you describe, but the door switches are in the door pillar close to where the door catches are and I get what you say about all four switches failing
but the way to check is to pull the rubber back and disconnect the wire and then short to earth and see what happens!

Also I have noticed when I open the rear passenger door the middle and the REAR light comes on

Steve
Islandcruiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve that's super helpful thank you. Good to know what the intended behaviour is too.

I'll check out the switchesin due course (wife and kids are on the road in it this week so will have to wait until they are back...)...

Thank you - again much appreciated!

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: