Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How do I use a Prado gearbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuclear Red

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 22:29    Post subject: How do I use a Prado gearbox Reply with quote

My wife has bought a 96 Japanese Import Prado.
It is a 3.0L turbo diesel Auto.
I can see how the litle gear stick moves me into High gear 4wd, neutral then low gear 4wd.

I presume the fully back position is 2wd.

What is happing to the diffs in these 4wd positions?

Any idea what the small red switch next to the small gear stick is for?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Regards,

JR
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 22:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small red button for moving the shifter when the keys are out , this helps when working on the vehicle .

The other stick should be back for 2 or 4wd , forward for low range which will automatically select 4wd .
Nuclear Red

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, thats the mystery of the small red button sorted.

I still need to sort out what is happening with the diffs when high gear or low gear 4wd is selected.

Colorados seem to have dash mounted diff locks.

As the Prado has no such switch so I presume the diffs lock when 4WD is selected.

As such I presume 4WD is only for wet or loose surfaces.

Any further info would be appreciated.

Regards,

John
andy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Red wrote:
Thanks Andy, thats the mystery of the small red button sorted.

I still need to sort out what is happening with the diffs when high gear or low gear 4wd is selected.

Colorados seem to have dash mounted diff locks.

As the Prado has no such switch so I presume the diffs lock when 4WD is selected.
The front and rear wheels will be trying to go at the same speed , so yes the front and back will be locked .

As such I presume 4WD is only for wet or loose surfaces.
Yes that is correct

Any further info would be appreciated.

Regards,

John

Not 100% sure with the Prado bits as I only buy and sell Surfs , so hope that this helps .
Steve H

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - re your question on the 4WD lever.

The Prado is 4WD all the time. When you move the small lever to its first position, the centre diff is locked which means power will be sent to either the front or the back wheels, which ever has grip at the time.

The second position gives low ratio, still with the centre diff locked so is useful for steep decents, very slippy surfaces etc.

The rear diff lock if fitted is worked by a separate switch on the dash. Most Prados don't have a rear diff lock but instead have a limited slip diff on the rear - have a look on the casing and you should see a red/orange sticker which warns LSD oil only.

Hope this helps.

Steve H
Nuclear Red

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks for your help.

It all now makes sense,

Regards,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: