2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Is it the gasket?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j0mpst0rt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:59    Post subject: Is it the gasket? Reply with quote

Hi,  Thanks to all the patient people whilst i get more knowledgeable about this Prado i bought.

My problem:

Oil was thick (very thick) so i changed it.  When it all drained away, I opened  the oil cap to put new oil in.

A waht I think should be a metal plate is clearly visible underneat the cap which I assume is a gasket?  It is very rusty.

So i need to do two things.... change gaskets, and while i'm at it, change the cam belt.

I live in croydon, number is 07887 891891 (please sms me if you can help, paid or unpaid (lol)).

Can someone tell me if it is a gasket, and what will happen if I leave it?
Can someoen tell me likely cost if i get a mechanic to do it?

Thankyou.

Michael
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

denkar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
It is NOT a gasket so don't worry about it, just a plate to stop oil blowing out if you take the cap off while engine is running, most have them.
Are you sure that it is rusty? Really shouldn't be.
If the engine is running OK, doesn't blow smoke, knock, have water in the oil or vice versa, you should be OK.
Dennis
j0mpst0rt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 17:36    Post subject: Hiya, sorry i haven't logged on for a while - Update Reply with quote

The car has gone from bad to worse at the mo.
I'm really strapped for money, and am having to learn by hand, but i'm no mechanic (not even a maintainer).
The battery has gone, so i'm buyhing a new one today.  I'm going to change the spark plugs and change the ignition coil.  All of which I don't know how to do.
I really wish there was a hobbyist who'd like to help me. I live in croydon.

Regarding the plate when I open the oil cap, yes it is rusty. When I put my finger on it, it scrapes off with my nail, and its a redd, hard grainy feeling. like rust of an old iron roofing.

Mike: 07887 891891 (SMS  me first please).
olivergt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you're changing the Spark Plugs and ignition coil. Do you know that they are fauly and need replacing?

If it has spark plugs it's a Petrol Engine, Yes?

Whatever you do you should work through things methodically before changing anything, this will save you money in the long run.

What year Prado is it? And do you know what engine, this kind of info will help others on here diagnose any issues.

Also a good purchase would be a workshop manual - available from the Club Shop - See Link at top of Page. (Great for reading in bed, sends you too sleep instantly!)

Oliver.
j0mpst0rt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 15:43    Post subject: Battery replaced, didn't work. Reply with quote

Ok. So the belt turns, ignition starts, nothing else.
Do i now look at the starter motor?
The Prado is a Prado 99 VZJ95 Engine 5vz-FE

Michael.: 07887 891891
olivergt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the belts on the engine then It wouldn't be the Starter Motor as that is turning the Engine.

There are a couple of things you next need to check, Spark at spark plugs and fuel.

Take the plugs out and have alook at them, they should be brownish in colour and if you have just tried to start the car you should get a smell of Petrol of them.

Have you tried a can of EasyStart, or whatever it's called, if this starts the car and then it stops, you have a fuel issue.

Do you know if the Fuel Pump is working? Sometimes you can hear these start up when you turn the ignition on. Anyone else on here offer any Fuel Pump tips?

Check all Fuses and Relays, there may be one for the Fuel Pump/Ignition?
j0mpst0rt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 16:43    Post subject: Keep in mind I have no Petrol pipes on this car, its LPG Reply with quote

It also starts on LPG only.

No petrol pipework.
but i'll see if i can use the easystart.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 19:14    Post subject: LPG Only Reply with quote

If you have only recently bought the car and have been running it on LPG through the summer, you may have to help the car a bit to get it to start when it or the weather is cold.

To run the engine, the LPG (which is stored under pressure as a liquid) has to be heated to turn it into gas. In warm weather the engine is hot enough to boil the gas but when it is cold (like now) you need to help it a bit by either keeping the car in a nice warm garage or starting it on petrol using the normal petrol storage and supply system.

You might get the engine to start with easystart but it might not keep running. For cold conditions, the engine has a small 'boiler' taking hot water from the radiator and using it to boil the liquid LPG.

So, running the engine initially on petrol to get the engine and radiator hot is enough to ensure it can then run on LPG. Usually, just a few minutes on petrol is enough.

If your car has a little petrol in the tank which has been there since forever, the engine may not run well. Don't worry, get some new petrol in the tank and it should be ok. Old petrol loses the lighter more volatile components over time and the remaining liquid is not a good fuel.

By the way, you may find that the car will start on some brands of LPG when it won't start on cold days with other brands. The reason is that LPG is a mixture of two gases; propane and butane. Propane will still turn to gas at a low temperature while butane stays as a liquid. Its not a big deal but trying different suppliers who mix their LPG in different proportions might help a bit.

Good luck

Willy
j0mpst0rt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 23:08    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I'm getting a compression test done on the engine for 20 quid from a local garage.  

Once i've got the results I'll then know what to do.

I already know I've got to change the LPG and yorkshire autogas wil do that for me for 800 quid, so that's a no brainer, will just be done.

Once I've got the results from the compression, i'll know hopefully which way to go.

Mike.
j0mpst0rt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 18:35    Post subject: Bottom End Steaming Hot Reply with quote

And Next.  

Driving along today and the  temperature suddenly shot right up.

Got home just in time.

When I opened the bonnet, I took some water and splashed a little here and there to see what was overheating.  Bottom end of engine gushed steam and hissed.

Temperature went down if I drove normally, but when I slowed down, it heated up very quickly.

Mike. Again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: