NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Mixing tyres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarlachmoorhouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 19:21    Post subject: Mixing tyres Reply with quote

I bought my X reg LC colorado 5 months ago, and it had 4 Dunlop Grandtrek tryres, with about 5mm tread left on them, so I intended to replace then with BF Goodrich A/T's all round when the needed it, probably a year down the line, however when they did the MOT on the day I picked it up they had to replace the front two (un even wear caused by tracking being out), and did so with Bridgestone Dueler H/P's, rather than a A/T tyre which I would have preferred.

Obviously I'd like to get the full wear out of the new rubber but what I'm wonder is what effect it would have I replaced the rear two with BF Goodrich A/T's as intended but left the front with the Bridgestone Dueler H/P's.

Thanks

John
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 19:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 19:40    Post subject: Mixingmytyresup Reply with quote

Couple of thoughts.

Firstly, the dangerous bit is when you mix tyres on the same axle, so back and front should be fine - there shouldn't be any 'geometric ' effects.

The front tyres will probably have better grip and in the wet, you may not know that it's a bit slippery until the backs let go. So if you're not too adventurous in your driving style you should be OK

What will you do if you have a puncture on one of your ATS? If your spare is a Dueler, you'll have mixed tyres. If you have an AT spare and you get a front puncture - you'll be in the same boat.

Don't know you finances, but I'd get the best deal that I could on a set of BFGs. Stick the duellers on here or fleabay and go for it.

If you intend to off-road, I'd want 4 ATs working for me, otherwise there's little point.

Sorry, but that's my advice.

LC
tarlachmoorhouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 19:47    Post subject: Re: Mixingmytyresup Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Couple of thoughts.

Firstly, the dangerous bit is when you mix tyres on the same axle, so back and front should be fine - there shouldn't be any 'geometric ' effects.

The front tyres will probably have better grip and in the wet, you may not know that it's a bit slippery until the backs let go. So if you're not too adventurous in your driving style you should be OK

What will you do if you have a puncture on one of your ATS? If your spare is a Dueler, you'll have mixed tyres. If you have an AT spare and you get a front puncture - you'll be in the same boat.

Don't know you finances, but I'd get the best deal that I could on a set of BFGs. Stick the duellers on here or fleabay and go for it.

If you intend to off-road, I'd want 4 ATs working for me, otherwise there's little point.

Sorry, but that's my advice.

LC

Roughly my gut reaction, i.e. don't do it, hadn't thought of the spares issue, as that creates the question of having to get 5 x A/T's rather than 4 !!!!
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 20:23    Post subject: 4 or 5 Reply with quote

Well it does really. I use a tyre goo in mine which is a mixture of glycol and polyamide chopped fibres. It will plug a hole up to 10mm.

When I took my last set of ATs off, there were nails, screws boy scouts - you name it, stuck in my tyre. I never lost any pressure in the couple of years that they were on. It even seals leaky alloy rims. There is half a liter in each tyre. You have to balance them first, and I generally run them for a bit too to knock any edges off. But it does NOT throw your balance out. It is not glue, it never sets. If you take a tyre off, you can wash it out with water.

Tyre places hate it - well it takes their business. I said to my local Guy that he aught to sell it and charge to put it in. That way he gets the money anyway. Nah, couldn't see it. Last lot cost me £30 to do all 4 tyres.

Anyway, insurance wise, it's a good idea. It will really change the odds of you needing a spare if buying 5 is an issue. Keep looking on e-bay until you find a part warn one in your size?  I have MTs on mine and the though of spending £110 to hang one on the rear door does make me wince. I will be filling my new tyres with goo very soon.

LC
DaveWall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I wouldn't mix the BF ATs with the other tyres - due to them having more tread from new (something like 10mm instead of 8 - or maybe 8 instead of 6 new) they have a radically different rolling radius and not good for the center diff

I Guess the center diff is a lot more forgiving than the diffs in the axles but I wouldn't risk it - I like the idea above - e bay the new fronts and buy 4 ATs

Dave
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 23:12    Post subject: ATs all round Reply with quote

Now you're talking Dave. You know it makes sense. I took my MTs for a play in Scotland this weekend - first time I've been up there since I got my diff lock fixed. On their own the MTs are really good. With the rear locked - phew they are awesome! Never got to play with my winch, didn't need it. Need to find deeper mud.

LC
DaveWall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if your ever down south I live right next to and know Salisbury Plain well! Grab a cuppa and we could go for a stroll....

Dave

The MTs are awesome (what are they like on the road honestly??).
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 20:06    Post subject: The TRUTH about MT's! Reply with quote

Honestly - brilliant. I have driven driven the 600 mile round trip to Scotland on them twice now and you really wouldn't know. They run straight, no bobbling around, brake well corner well and no noise that I can discern over the engine etc. I did think that it would be like driving an army landrover.

OK, in the wet/damp on a tightening country bend, I wouldn't go in too adventurously, you can get a bit of a drift if you're too brave (which equates to stupid, I think)

I had ATs before on my LWB and I'd actually say they were comparable on noise. I did also have a Sorento (boo, hiss!) which had a smaller rolling rad and they were a little whiny. I put 265x75x16 on this time and they actually foul the plastic mud flap despite the lift kit. Bit tedious but not harmful. Kinda wish I'd picked a different size to get away from that.

In the mud?  Oh yes!

Happy of Chesterfield
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: