Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tyres to replace STD Grandtrek's

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 19:50    Post subject: Tyre swap Reply with quote

The only thing that I can say about Kumhos is (one the ones that I had, anyway) were that they were paper thin! I had several punctures just with sharp stones. When I swapped them for BFGs, I picked one up in each hand to feel the relative weight. BFG easily weighed double.

LC
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 19:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

120man wrote:
So you even out the wear pattern.

The front nearside tyre will always tend to wear more on the outside edge than the others because in the UK we tend to spend quite a bit more time turning right rather than left thanks to roundabouts.

The front offside also wears on the inside edge for the same reason.

Over time they get rounded off and the steering feels less sharp and ultimately the tyres wear unevenly and you have to replace them sooner.

The other issue is that with big chunky tyres you can get 12mm of tread or more. Never use the spare and over time you end up with a tyre that in theory could be 12mm -1.6mm (legal limit) X 2 bigger in diameter than the others:  over 20mm.

May not sound a lot but get a puncture and stick it on (assuming you can because the wheel nuts may have rusted in place by then!) and all of a sudden one of the wheels on your wagon is bigger than the others and has very different handling characteristcs.

Also means the Diff. will be working overtime even when going in a straight line because the new wheel will want to go further per rotation than the others, in the case of 265 70 R17 tyres about 2.5 inches per rotation.

That might not sound like much but over one mile the "new" tyre would want to be 45 yards in front of the old ones.

If you do want to rotate on a regular basis get a decent trolley jack: 3 ton capacity minimum. The jack supplied is both useless and dangerous IMO.

Hi 129 man

I have read your post about rotating the wheels, and fully agree with you, and I do, but here is an interesting point !

I have the 100 series and had the 18" wheels as standard,with the grandtec tyres, but noticed after about 13K miles
they had started to scrub on the edges, as they were not very good off road, I deceided to get some AT's but could
not find any decend ones for 18",, so had to look for diffrent size wheels, and found some 16"s from a lexus
(and the fitted without any modifications)then got some BFG's.

now to the point, I have done about double the milage I did with the 18"s and they have not scrubbed on any edge !
the fronts are as square as the were when new.

So I wonder if going down to 16" as given a better steering geometry ?

ps, when I had the last service, they marked off the tread depths for the spare 9mm, and all the BFG's 13mm, so there
is still more on the bfg,s than when the original when new !

Thoughts on the 16"s please?

Radiotwo
120man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr dunno.

Is:

the offset of the 16" wheel same as the 18"?

the overall radius of the two wheel/tyres combos the same?
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

120man wrote:
Errr dunno.

Is:

the offset of the 16" wheel same as the 18"?

the overall radius of the two wheel/tyres combos the same?

Hi again

yes the offset are the same, and the overall radius is the same.

but at the end of the day I am very please with tyre wear !

Radiotwo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: