Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

cycle carrier. why does no-one make a useful one?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordic venture

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 15:36    Post subject: cycle carrier. why does no-one make a useful one? Reply with quote

OK maybe i'm a bit different to most in that i'm part of a family of 4 who cycle AND have a boot full of gear that i want to access just about everytime i stop.

so what? well if you can point me in the direction of a cycle carrier that carries 4 bikes AND ALLOWS THE BOOT DOOR TO OPEN FULLY then the beers are on me (seriously)

don't bother to mention those who claim boot access and show pics of their carrier on a landrover discovery. (same style swing open door). notice how there are NO PICTURES of the door open. can you guess why?

at the moment i can carry my kids 2 bikes on a carrier that fits over the spare wheel on the door. just. there is no way i'm going to try and add 2 adult mountain bikes as well!! (by the way the door hinges for a colorado cost £70..... EACH Shocked i don't even want to think about ripping the spare off the door  Exclamation

i've also had a look in the U.S. (google "swing away cycle carrier") OMG look at that.... just the thing Laughing  (now double the price trying to import one Exclamation  oh and you'll need a 2" hitch reciever. N/A in the UK.

so take a bow my old landrover with a swing away spare wheel carrier. mounted to the chassis/body and door it could carry all 4 bikes and have me standing on the wheel to reach the roof without deflecting a mm. they say that abscence makes the heart grow fonder.................... i'm begining to know what they mean.

any friendly engineers/welders/ designers out there that want to help?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 15:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 15:53    Post subject: Nordic Fabrications Ltd Reply with quote

I can feel some more ore smelting coming on!

LC
olivergt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you put them on the roof? That would give you lots more options, I know it's a little more difficult to get them down and you have to watch LOW bridges.

Oliver
nordic venture

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 16:26    Post subject: Re: Nordic Fabrications Ltd Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
I can feel some more ore smelting coming on!

LC

not this time i'm afraid LC. the though of 4 bikes parting company with the vehicle whilst on the m-way is too much.
nordic venture

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

olivergt wrote:
Would you put them on the roof? That would give you lots more options, I know it's a little more difficult to get them down and you have to watch LOW bridges.

Oliver

good point. i sometimes use a roof box. fuel consumption is bad enough already and i'm often on ferries where height matters.

thanks for replying though.
andy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen hitch receivers selling in the UK, so what about this sort of thing.

http://www.nextag.com/THULE-954-Ridgeline-4-534796756/prices-html?nxtg=121010a240519-752757E2C9A14DE4
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
nordic venture

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I have seen hitch receivers selling in the UK, so what about this sort of thing.

http://www.nextag.com/THULE-954-Ridgeline-4-534796756/prices-html?nxtg=121010a240519-752757E2C9A14DE4
(

thanks.

this model although it folds down won't allow the door to open fully (colorado) it'll also atract import duty and VAT importing one, thus roughly doubling the price.
Bosvark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordic Venture, I have the same problem, have to carrie 5 bikes, and there is no way the door hinges will take that weight and the weight of the bigger spare wheel.
I have build one earlier this week, painted it this afternoon and will fit the ratchet strap and rubbers to secure the bikes over the weekend.
The carrier piviots on a bracket thats bolted to the tow bar. When you lower the carrier with the bikes on , then you will be able to open the door about half way.
The carrier can split into sections, so easy to remove and store when not needed on a camping trip.
I will take some photos over the weekend which will give you a better idea of what I am on about.

Bosvark
nordic venture

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosvark wrote:
Nordic Venture, I have the same problem, have to carrie 5 bikes, and there is no way the door hinges will take that weight and the weight of the bigger spare wheel.
I have build one earlier this week, painted it this afternoon and will fit the ratchet strap and rubbers to secure the bikes over the weekend.
The carrier piviots on a bracket thats bolted to the tow bar. When you lower the carrier with the bikes on , then you will be able to open the door about half way.
The carrier can split into sections, so easy to remove and store when not needed on a camping trip.
I will take some photos over the weekend which will give you a better idea of what I am on about.

Bosvark

thanks. i'm looking forward to seeing it  Laughing  very interested.
Tonka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
what's the official line on where you would stand on a front mounted cycle carrier?
just a thought Confused

once carried a large mountain bike,(out of desperation/necessity,) bungee strapped to a front bullbar Wink

ek Cool
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it would be a big no no, if you hit a pedestrian they would probably throw away the key LOL
They moan about bullbars are dangerous.

Joinerman
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 19:18    Post subject: Where to put your bikes Reply with quote

We have four bikes and I just stick them in the trailer. Of course I can't get the quad bike in then - clearly I need a BIGGER trailer!
LC
mbw13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a world away pretty much, but I came across this just now:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling/Parts-accessories/Bike-racks/auction-149616631.htm

Apparently it folds in the centre to allow vehicle acces, but to what extent it folds I wouldn't have a clue sorry.

Mike.
nordic venture

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbw13 wrote:
I know it's a world away pretty much, but I came across this just now:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling/Parts-accessories/Bike-racks/auction-149616631.htm

Apparently it folds in the centre to allow vehicle acces, but to what extent it folds I wouldn't have a clue sorry.

no need to apologise. any ideas are welcome and useful.

thanks.
Jim W

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 21:13    Post subject: Sensible Cycle carriers Reply with quote

Since you say you are on ferries quite often do you go to France?
If so try Decathlon chain of sporting supermarkets.
The do a towball fitting cycle carrier which takes 4 bikes. Last year it was about 200 euros.
If you have a swaneck towball it fits straight from the box.
If you have a normal towball you will need to change it to one with a minimum of 50mm between the plate and the ball and unbolt the bar which stops the unit swinging about.
I don't know if it folds down though to allow the rear doors to open.

I almost bought one last year - should have with the exchange rate at present

There is an american unit available from a company called Cabelas which does fold down but it is designed for the yanks square slot in towing system. You might have to buy the american towbar setup to get it to fit but at the exchange rate it might be worth it.
There web site really is worth a look.

Cheers
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: