4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

tax bands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 22:31    Post subject: tax bands Reply with quote

What do we all think of this new tax band thats going to be brought in for cars seven years old and this will not just apply to 4x4s..................

Seems they are trying to get us both ways ,if your vehicle is year 2000  on then  there is a tax band if its seven years old or more you will get stung talk about two bites of the cherry........................

Something to do with emmisions what a load of b   ocks,I know my vehicle is serviced all the time and would probley put out less emmisions than some of the bins on the roads...........

My car will end up putting less emmisions out the way the price of fuel is going I will not be able to afford to go out in it!

Lenny
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 22:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line is drawn at 1st March 2001 for 1st registration.After this date you cop for the new emmision-rated tax bands.Before this you pay the old engine size-rated tax.So a pre March'01  4.2 '80 series will pay the same as a 1600 cc car!!

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
100rob
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lenny, as I understand it, all cars registered since March 2001 (Y reg) are taxed according to how much CO2/km they emit (A to F I think).  From March next year these bands are to be revised, ranging from A to M, with the higher bands subject to much higher tax.  I see it as yet another greenwash tax from our beloved Gordie Brown!!!  
Before I bought my LC Amazon recently (1998 'S') I also considered a 2001 'Y' Colorado D4D, but learnt that the tax would go up to £415 next year.  Whichever way I looked at it (better mpg, newer motor etc.) I just couldn't swallow that one!  I think the Colorado D4D is in band L and the Amazon (2001 'Y' on) in band M (£435).  
See for yourself on the Parkers (price guide) website, I checked on the gov't site also.  
Sickening isn't it!!!!!  Mad

P.S.  There are a lucky few with a Colorado D4D on an 'X', registered in Jan and Feb 2001.  Tried to find one, but no chance!!!!
warthog

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet been able to find out if it refers to the first registration, first registration in UK or the age of the vehicle. I wonder how we import users stand - I have a 92 and a 95, but registered in UK 2004.
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 17:58    Post subject: tax bands Reply with quote

Thanks guys for clearing that one up,I was a bit confused Embarassed

Lenny
DJR

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

warthog wrote:
I haven't yet been able to find out if it refers to the first registration, first registration in UK or the age of the vehicle. I wonder how we import users stand - I have a 92 and a 95, but registered in UK 2004.

That's a good point, but surely it must go on the year of manufacture. When they get imported, they are given a reg number in relation to it's age, not when registered in the UK.  Therefore, they're admitting that the vehicle is older than 7 years (2001 registered).

That's what I think, anyway!!

1996 3.0 tdi Prado Import.  Gone!!
100rob
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJR wrote:
warthog wrote:

That's a good point, but surely it must go on the year of manufacture. When they get imported, they are given a reg number in relation to it's age, not when registered in the UK.  Therefore, they're admitting that the vehicle is older than 7 years (2001 registered).

That's what I think, anyway!!

I agree with you Dave.  Also, surely the older vehicles would not have any official co2/km rating, so they could not be placed in any tax band.  I think the older imports are safe!

Rob.
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea i think would be fairer, when we get our cars mot'd we get an emissions slip with the emission figures on, we should take that with us when we tax the car & it should be used against a pricing chart for tax, this would be fairer. Iv'e also got a 2002 beamer 530d sport, got it mot'd the other week & the pass figure was 0.3, however i also had the L/c done around the same time a 94 4.2 td btw & it struggled to pass the failure limit of 3.0 BUT the L/c will still cost the same to tax, the car with far less emissions will cost far MORE  Fair or not.
essexeddie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they dont accept the imports year of manufacture and if its imported this year and goes down as a 2008 then it shouldn't need an MOT. Shocked
They cant have it both ways Very Happy

Towpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

essexeddie wrote:
If they dont accept the imports year of manufacture and if its imported this year and goes down as a 2008 then it shouldn't need an MOT. Shocked
They cant have it both ways Very Happy

If the age of an import cannot be proven it will get a Q plate and will require an MOT.The tax band will depend on type approval.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
essexeddie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being facetious. Phil  Very Happy  

120man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cut through all the confusion by putting your detail in here:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/

Prepare to be depressed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: