Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

91 Landcruiser II Center Differential Lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezgrand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:06    Post subject: 91 Landcruiser II Center Differential Lock Reply with quote

Greetings to everyone. This vehicle has a center differential lock indicator
lamp on the tachometer side of the instrument panel, but it does not have a center differential lock switch on the dashboard. I would like to know if this model automatically locks the center differential on L4 or if the importer just forgot to reinstall the switch. I know that some earlier LCs automatically locks the center differential when switched to L4 while other models actually have a switch on the dash. How can I approach the problem? Locking the center diff is very important to me specially on tough mountain climbs. Thanks
91 Landcruiser II( Prado SX5) QLJ78PET
2LTE engine
Part time 4wd
A/T
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

johnmccartney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all the LC2s had the traditional part time 4wd set-up: ie- normal drive is to rear wheels only, H4 and L4 only recommended for icy roads/mud/loose surfaces because there is no centre diff - effectively front and rear axles are locked together as soon as you engage 4wd. Certainly this is the case on my 94 LC2, same as Series Land Rovers, Patrols, Terranos, Suzukis etc. (So don't be tempted to use 4wd on dry roads or you'll get transmission wind-up and possibly a broken uj or diff.) I'd like to know why you have a centre difflock indicator!
ezgrand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, John. Here's a picture of the center diff lock indicator.
On the contrary, the LC2(my model at least), does have a center differential. I can tell because on H4 or L4 I don't feel the unmistakble hardness of steering--specially while turning on paved roads. This vehicle was Toyota's first foray into "soft roaders"--giving a choice between 4wd on rough or paved roads e.g slippery roads) by giving it a center differential. If I could only activate the lock!

Here's an image of the switch available on 91-93 80 series LCs:
johnmccartney

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:36    Post subject: Centre Diff Lock Reply with quote

Now I'm jealous. I want one. I wonder what sort of transfer box/viscous coupling you have? I guess that they didn't put that on the British ones. Damn!
Aged William

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZGRAND - Hi

I understand from Toyota - that if you have ABS on the vehicle ( though on a '91 this wasn't standard) - or its a later auto box model.... then you don't have the centre diff lock switch ( its blanked off on mine ). Naturally it will activate in Low ration - and you should still have the FF/FR turn lock switch on the dash OK ....

AW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: