2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Engine noise after timing belt change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMD

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 21:02    Post subject: Engine noise after timing belt change Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I've just had my Amazon V8 timing belt changed at 60k miles and now there is a low, deep, grumbling noise coming from the lower part of the engine.  In fact the car sounds like it's had a boy racer conversion.  I took the car straight back to Toyota who say 'We can hear the noise but we can't find the reason for it.'  The fact that they caused the noise during the timing belt change seems to warrant for nothing so I'm asking for any ideas please.  The noise happens as follows:

- Before timing belt change you could hardly hear the engine from inside the cabin
- Noise peaks between 1,800 - 2,200 revs
- Disappears after 2,200 revs
- At 2,000 revs is very intrusive into the cabin
- Low grumbling noise
- Slight vibration felt
- Happens in neutral AND in any gear (Which eliminates the transmission and gearbox)
- Noise is worst under acceleration

I'm really concerned a pully or something similar has been knocked off alignment and is going to damage the engine.  Toyota have agreed to take another look at the car but I have no faith in them.  They actually had to ask me where the valve key was so they could let air out of the tyres to lower the car so they could do the timing belt change in the first place.  When I asked them why they just didn't lower the suspension they said they totally forgot about the height control.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 21:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jvoelcker

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they haven't fitted the tensioner properly and the cam belt is slapping against the side of the cambelt cover?

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
AMD

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask them on Monday.  I took the car to another garage for a second opinion and they suggested the valve timing might be out so Toyota will need to check that out also.  Does anyone know a good Toyota garage or a good garage used to dealing with Land Cruisers and particularly the 100 series?
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AMD

You've got me over a barrel somewhat as I (and I suspect others here) are more familiar with the diesel engined amazon and the petrol engine is not so familiar. I have fitted a new belt on my diesel amazon and it was fairly straightforward. Finding a good amazon garage is there along with the old hen's teeth problem. The plus point is that amazons are made to be fairly easy to work on and a competent (hen's teeth again) garage should find working on it straight forward. My local chap has access to a sort of on-line super Haines manual so he claims to be able to fix any modern car.

The best solution I can offer is to get a Max Ellery or Haines manual and do the job yourself. Then you know if it was done properly. I know that may not be easy if you start with little knowledge but...

If I was making a guess I would start with the tensioner not being fitted correctly and therefore not doing its job. Checking the valve timing could be worthwhile but it wouldn't normally cause a rattle or vibration unless the valves were hitting the pistons = very bad. Normally you would see a drop in performance and that's it. However, if the tensioner is not working and the belt starts to slip it could be goodbye cylinder head/engine so be careful.

In principle, taken the cover off the belt. Rotate the engine (big spanner on crankshaft pulley retaining nut) until the mark on the crank pulley lines up with the mark on the crankcase. At that moment, there should be a mark on one of the timing belt pulleys which also lines up with a similar mark on the belt housing. If not, the timing is out. Take off the belt and rotate the offending belt pulley until it lines up.

Resetting the tensioning device may be a problem but it might be like the one in the diesel engine. If so, it can be gently compressed in a large bench vice. A pin, small allen key or similar is then inserted in a retaining hole and the compressed tensioner is re-installed on the fitted belt. The retaining pin is removed and there you are.

I'm hoping someone with the relevant experience of the V8 will tell me I'm wrong and give the correct details. However, it should be a job at the same level of complexity as changing spark plug or engine oil.

Good luck

Willy
andy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here http://toyota.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-03-02_092423_03tundra_remove.pdf
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
AMD

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.  I'll see what happens on Monday at Toyota.  I'm going to give them a copy of that Timing Belt change PDF (Should be fun!).  You're right that finding a good garage is difficult - I don't mind spending money on the car as I plan on keeping it.  Considered the 200 series but the UK version is pants compared to the US & Oz versions.  No KDSS, no CRAWL system and 3rd row seats which cannot be removed - the 100 series is a much better drive as well Smile

I would love to be able to do the work myself but I'm no mechanic - I can handle a camera but not a spanner.  The most I have done to the car myself is change all the bulbs (except headlamps) to LED versions - which look the mutts nuts by the way if anyone is thinking about doing it.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:52    Post subject: V8 - Ugh! Reply with quote

Having read the instructions for changing the timing belt on a V8, I am glad my amazon has a straight 6! Remove radiator, take off crank pulley - Toyota must be crazy.

Just in case you are wondering, the diesel 6 requires the cover to come off and the tensioner and that is it. If you want an easy life, take the aircon drive belt and its tensioner off just to make life easy. It should all be done inside an hour.

I can't wait to see the V8 diesel in the 200.

What LED bulbs did you fit? Are they just brighter or do they look different?

Willy
AMD

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sourced the LEDs on e bay and found a supplier in Hong Kong.  The LEDs are the SMT type and very bright, they are brighter and faster than the standard bulbs.  The 501 (168) bulbs are probably about equal to the filmament version but the 382 & 380 (7440, 7442) are much brighter, the only dimmer ones are the festoon bulbs but I wanted slightly darker ones (blue ones).  The headlamps were changed to HID (6k 35w versions) and I'm going to add 6k 55w HIDs to the main beam.  I can give you the e bay username if you want to look the supplier up online?
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:06    Post subject: e bay Address Reply with quote

Yes please - the e bay address would be welcome. Is the supplier OK? Any problems with delivery or importing the bulbs?

Willy
AMD

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to my rear light / brake bulbs (7443) LED version.  The seller is pretty good so far and no probs having them delivered.  I've ordered loads of LEDs from him and changed virtually every bulb in the car.

http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/2pcs-7440-7443-T20-11W-Power-LED-Red-Brake-Tail-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ320251850605QQihZ011QQcategoryZ72234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Let me know what you think.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the LED details

Any news on the noise?

Willy
AMD

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I spoke to Toyota Head Office and told them what was happening with my dealership.  The car went in on Monday and Tuesday and is working perfectly now.  From what I can gather the water pump has been replaced, along with the engine coolant.  They said the valves were perfectly OK and no damage to the engine has been sustained.  I still have not received an apology from the garage, although Toyota HQ were very embarrassed about me being asked for the key to let the tyres down when the car lowers itself!

I'll hopefully hear back from Toyota UK soon.  At the moment the car seems to be running fun throughout the revs so hopefully that's it sorted.

On a separate note, Toyota Ayr (My local dealership) did not change the fuel filter during the 60k service.  Apparently the wrong fuel filter was sent and the Chief Technician 'forgot' to let me know that the filter had not been changed.  Makes me wonder what else has not been changed during the various services I've had them do.  Where would I get the information for what needs changed and when?

LC Amazon 4.7i V8 (2004)
Kitted out as AV vehicle for photography, video and multimedia company - AMD Studios
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/MaintenanceSchedules.aspx?menuitem=2

use the drop downs ...all you want to know will be there  Very Happy
AMD

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you

LC Amazon 4.7i V8 (2004)
Kitted out as AV vehicle for photography, video and multimedia company - AMD Studios
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: