Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

DashBoard rattle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k1elliott

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 17:31    Post subject: DashBoard rattle Reply with quote

Hello,

Your reading a post by the most jynxed toyota owner ever.

Now I have a rattle coming from my dash area. Just where the stereo is. It's the bog standard dash with manual conrols for the aircon and a single CD stereo.

It's a high pitched rattle with a high frequency and for the life of me I cannot stop it even with the most determined of fists.
I've just tried to remove the dash but it looks like its in there to stay.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get behind the radio or indeed to get the dash off.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Ken
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 17:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

amortens
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:32    Post subject: How to get the dash out. Reply with quote

Ken,

Do a search at http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim.aspx?menuitem=1 for the Bluetooth Hands-Free System LHD. In there you will find the description of how to remove the dashboard, in order to get to the radio.

Regards

Arne
adamsoble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone has put a post on here about how to get into the sat nav.  From memory, the silver edges pop out revealing screws etc that holds the centre console in.

Hope this helps.
k1elliott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the pointers folks. In the meantime, I've come up with an ingenious interim solution - whack the tunes up full tilt ;-)
mark little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the exact same rattle from a 2004 Irish commercial cruiser. If/when I ever get a chance I will strip the dashboard and investigate.

I have noticed its worse on a warm day with A/C on. I also notice that when I  press down on the area under the clock it seems to stop.  

If you do solve this please update.
k1elliott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved :-) What a difference it makes not having that damned rattle.
Anyway, it was the cover on the *beep* factory radio/cd unit. I simply removed it from the unit. Possibly exposes it to dust but I don't care.

The centre unit is reasonably easy to remove if a bit fiddly.
- remove the lower outer trim that runs from the dash area down towards the centre console in 2 parts (shifter etc) by working from the lower end of it (towards the rear of the vehicle). I used a screw driver to unclip it.
- Once that comes off you can pull off the upper trim by working from the bottom - i pulled the part that the lower trim sits into.
- unclip the wiring to the hazard light switch and the passenger seatbelt warning light (or any electricals that are in this part of the trim)
- then remove the 4 gold coloured bolts that are exposed
- pull out the unit from the top (its clipped in)
- set the ac knobs to zero where relevant and pull them off
- unscrew the ac control (3 small screws appear from behind the removed knobs)
- detach the ac control unit from the main unit
- unclip all wiring connections and aerial etc (there aren't that many but you might wanna take a pic to remember)
- remove the white plastic wiring duct (will be obvious) by pinching the clips that attach it to the frame
- you should then be able to remove the entire centre unit from the dash
- bring it indoors and continue
- remove the 4 screws attaching the plastic facia to the metal frame
- remove the screws holding the radio/cd to the frame
- unclip the top from the radio/cd unit.
- put it all back together

takes about an hour. little to no risk.

Cheers,
Ken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: