Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Roof rack & roof tent

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Group buys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 21:10    Post subject: Roof rack & roof tent Reply with quote

Me again......
I will be putting a roof rack and rooftop tent on as well, but as soon as you say 'Landcruiser' to any of these outfitters, the price doubles - very annoying.
I was looking at Eeziawn tents, the SA price is R5550 (£358), but the cheapest I can get in the UK is over £1000.
To say I was not pleased is putting it mindly.
I looked into Frontrunner equipment (Made in SA) and they have really good stuff, also quite cheap there, but over here it's stupid. They are getting me a quote together to deliver to the UK, hopefully the shipping costs and import duty is not too heavy - I'll keep this updated if anyone is interested.

If I had the skills of Bosvark I would not need to buy half this stuff, but alas.... we just bask in his welding skills glory  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 21:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

24Seven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see the costs of self buying.
Bosvark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be woth doing a group buy and share the shipping cost.
Just a thought  Question

The advantage of the Front runner roof rack over the ARB is the weight differance, cause it's all Ali.
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

You read my mind - I'm still waiting for the quote, but will press them tonight...
Will keep you posted!!
second time around

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to at those kind of prices. There must be a HUGE mark up on these things.
There were some on flea bay thta came from the manufacurers in Germany at the £550 (+ carriage) price mark ,but not a name brand  . Let me know.
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the cost back including shipping, but not including clearance. Delivery is to LHR, import duty is apparently 3.5% and then you have to pay the VAT obviously, but the figures are very very good indeed.

All the prices below taking the exchange rate at R15.50 to the £1
Roofrack with all the bits like feet etc  FRPR4001- £264
RT Featherlite 1.3 Roof Tent with mounting kit RTTENT01- £410
70l Aux fuel tank (with pump)  FRPR40  - £275
6 box draw system with sliding top (boxes not included) FRDRSW18 - £330
Shipping - £350

The UK importers are taking the mikey BIG time - The cheapest rooftop tent I can find in the UK about £750 - thats what you would pay if you just brought in a tent and shipping, add other stuff and it's free. On my stuff I reckon I will save at least £1500.
It's almost tempting to start up an import business at that rate, teach the UK crowd a lesson on ripping us LC owners off!!

I have asked Louis to quote for adding another roofrack, and then another roofrack and rooftent. Hopefully I will get this today. If you do phone them, and don't get an answer, remember it's Africa and power cuts are frequent - they have a good excuse for not answering the phone!!

Will tell you what the incremental costs for the additional rack etc will be. Delivery time is 14 days and as I said to LHR (airfreight). If any of you wanted to add something, you would have to meet me at LHR to collect.
I'm not in this to make a profit, just to split the delivery cost!!

Cheers
Andrew
Bosvark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a website adress/cataloge to see what ells they supply?
Graham Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front Runner

I have their 170L fuel tank, and no problems with it...
Great quality, at great prices.
Their roof rack is also really nice...

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

"Dessie": Desert Wolf Lynx off-road trailer
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waiting for the quote for adding extra bits to my order, will post the info as soon as I get it - the shipping guys are a bit slack - but with those savings, I'm prepared to wait!!
Cheers Graham, for posting their link!!
Andrew
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the quote back today for extra bits.
I asked Louis to quote for 2x roof rack and 2 x roof tents, and it comes in as follows:-
2x roof racks = £540
2x roof tents  = £780
Shipping = £220

From the above we can get an idea of the shipping costs, and they aren't too scary at all, I assume halving the kit and bringing 1 of each will drop the shipping price according (that s just a guess, but seems sensible as it is airfreight!!)

I am looking to order my stuff in the next two weeks (their quotes are only valid for two weeks (stuff had already gone up from my original quote, not much but still some something (couple of ££'s in total).

If anyone is interested in getting some stuff, we can ask for a requote and then split the shipping costs between us in a mutually agreeable manner. I need to know fairly soon though.
Alternatively I could order extra for myself and then flog on the stuff for a nice profit, but still cheaper than the UK distributors  Twisted Evil

Let me know!!
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and don't forget we still have to clear customs - 3.5% duty and 17.5% VAT - don't think there will be any other charges - but hey it's the first time I'm doing this - hope Mr Brown doesn't have any nasty surprises for me
nordic venture

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

now they are good prices. i reckon it's £1825 in total. plus i think you 'll get a handling charge at our end, though it's been a while since i imported anything.

if only i wasn't saving all my hard earned to spend on diesel whilst on holiday.

if you did decide to go down the unofficial importer route for profit, i'd prefer to give my dosh to you rather than the 'you know who's '.

mind you having to drive from aberdeen to LHR and back would wipe out any saving!!! so haulage would need to be added and arranged.

still seriously thinking about the AUX fuel tank.

cheers.
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like LHR handling and clearance fees are about £80 - the more you bring in at one shot the better - basically works out as follows:-
Clearing fees of £50 for up to two commodity codes (we will have two I guess - tents and car parts)
Airline Handling fee of min £30 or 13p per kg (weight or volume), but we would still fall under the min charge I guess..
Bosvark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that £570 for two expidition roof racks (2.2 m long) and does it include the mountings as well?
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosvark, yup, £540 actually for TWO, all legs etc are included - I made sure I asked that question!! I think it even includes the wind deflector thingy - I'm at work so can't access the quote now, but I'll post it later this morning - after I've had some sleep - gotta work these stupid hours to pay for the toys - my 37 hours straight on Monday/Tuesday certainly helped  Laughing bring on the goodies!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Group buys All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: