NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2nd Gear Start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick j

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 19:45    Post subject: 2nd Gear Start Reply with quote

Do you think any more wear to the clutch is made when 2nd gear start is used most of the time?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 19:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope
olivergt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there has to be as the difference in the rotational speeds on each side of the clutch are greater than in 1st gear.

Although saying that I knew a van driver once who only ever used 2nd and 4th, didn't seem to make a huge difference, but he was a fairly easy driver as well.

Oliver
olivergt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there has to be as the difference in the rotational speeds on each side of the clutch are greater than in 1st gear.

Although saying that I knew a van driver once who only ever used 2nd and 4th, didn't seem to make a huge difference, but he was a fairly easy driver as well.

Oliver
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry are we talking about an auto with 2nd gear start function? IE- missing out 1st to reduce torque on set off for slippery conditions. Or a manual where you can't be bothered to use 1st? If it's the former, A) why would you? But I agree no particular major wear. If B) yes, there would be some extra wear - but why not use 1st?

I think that you may need to refine your question a little. Major difference to the answer between a manual and an auto.

LC
nick j

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I meant an auto box...
Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you should not worry about wear and tear on the auto box when 2nd gear start is used. Accept that Mr Toyota has got it right when 2nd gear start should be used according to the conditions you are faced with at the time.

I just feel that this facility should only be used when needed and not on a regular basis.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Toyotamotorman put 2nd start there for a reason, and setting off at the traffic lights in July is not one of them. Caravan, muddy field yep. Other than that, quite frankly would be like driving around in a Vauxhall Astra with your spot lights on in broad daylight - I mean who would do that? It is not a function that is used that often I have had 2 autos and can't recall ever using it in anger. And I used to bury mine up to the sills on a regular basis. Unless towing, forget it.

LC
SANDCASTLE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, forgive me for being thick but the original post refered to 2nd gear start and clutch wear, auto boxes dont have a clutch? Confused  
Are we talking auto or manual,either way in an auto its only there for ice/mud,slippey starts, and in a manual if you can start off in 2nd gear what's 1st for?

Take it easy Very Happy
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we've established - it's an auto. We just haven't worked out why you would want to use 2nd start all of the time. And no, there isn't a clutch. But there are other components that can wear - engine mountings for example.

LC
120man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the second gear start function on any auto. creates more fluid shear in the torque converter which heats up the transmission fluid by mechanical action. Not really a problem unless in hot conditions and overdone but bear in mind that the majority of auto box problems can be linked in some way to the transmission fluid breaking down and the rate that happens is linked directly to average fluid operating temperature. Which is why if the transmission temperature warning light comes on, ease off or stop with the engine running to cool the fluid.

Also pays to change the fluid every 40/50k miles, for preference using a professional flushing machine because you can only get about 2 litres out by removing the drain plug. A lot more remains in the innards and torque converter

(Worth noting that Mercedes Benz, after years of spouting "sealed for life" nonsense about their transmissions, now have a mandatory 60,000km fluid change. They do not do so for fun.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: